Née's Reviews > Like Me: Confessions of a Heartland Country Singer

Like Me by Chely Wright

Aug 21, 11

Read in December, 2010

I read this without knowing anything about Chely Wright, and it actually made me a permanent fan of hers. Such a unique and well written book about her struggles as a gay country music singer trying to make it big and fit into a world that doesn't know what to do with people that are different.

What I found most interesting is Chely's self-destructive behaviour throughout this time, where her struggle to balance her religious beliefs with her clear and defined homosexuality ultimately lead to depression and suicidal thoughts. It took her until she was nearly 40 to come out!

I think this is not only a brave account of being a gay country music star in the closet, but also a unique story of what it is like to grow up in the deep south as a gay woman in relatively modern times.

Her anecdotes about country music were of much less interest to me, but then I'm not a huge country music fan.

I'm glad Chely Wright finally had the courage to come and tell her story. She also recently married the love of her life, Lauren Blitzer. This is an important read for any young gay kid who thinks they're not good enough. It proves that you're not only good enough, you're worth everything.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Like Me.