Lauren's Reviews > Ascension

Ascension by Caris Roane

Dec 31, 11

bookshelves: paranormal-romance, vampires, fated-mates, warriors, tortured-heroes, pregnancy
Read from December 13 to 20, 2011

Ascension
2 Stars

Synopsis:
Kerrick is one of the Guardians of Ascension, sexy vampire warriors with wings assigned to protect humans called to Ascension. Foresworn to never love again, Kerrick's vow is tested when he must guard Alison Wells, a woman with incredible supernatural powers, from Death Vampires. Alison has always felt like an outsider until she is caught up in a battle for supremacy between opposing armies and the only one she can trust is a man who refuses to accept that they are destined for each other.

Review:
I really wanted to enjoy this book but unfortunately found myself struggling despite its potential.

While the relationship between the hero and heroine is steamy, the romance and chemistry is lacking - the only reason they get together is the mating bond. Alison starts out as an intriguing character with emotional and familial issues, but their resolution is completely contrived and ultimately undermines her characterization. Other than the fact that Kerrick is a sexy, alpha male, there is little to set him apart from the dozens of other similar characters in various PNR series.

None of the secondary characters is particularly appealing and they are actually irritating and off-putting. Endelle, for example, is supposedly a majestic and powerful leader but resorts to dirty talk and even pimping out her warriors. Thorne comes across as nothing but a boorish alcoholic who shouldn't be leading anyone into battle, and Marcus, the only one with any redeeming qualities, is a sanctimonious jerk.

The writing is excessively descriptive and repetitious, often focusing on irrelevant issues and the world building is lacking in any substantial explanation and detail.

Overall, a real disappointment and I doubt that I will be reading any further.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ascension.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) My sister (Lacy) loves this series. I think I told you that already. :) I'm going to start it early next year. Looking forward to it.

Lauren Thanks Danielle.
I'm about half way through and to be honest, I'm struggling with it. I'm finding it difficult to relate to the characters and am not feeling the romance between the H/h.
Hopefully it will get better soon.

message 4: by Lynsey (new)

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian Did you manage to finish it?

Lauren Yes, I made it. It does liven up toward the end but overall it is excessively descriptive and repetitious. It could have been 100 pages shorter.
I liked Marcus's character and his book is next so I may read it but not right away.