Allison Lepontois's Reviews > Dubliners

F_50x66
Aug 21, 11

Read in August, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

During:
So far I really like this novel. Joyce is wise in making each chapter a different story with no relationship to previous stories. Although I contiune trying to find some connection. I find this style efficent because it is less painful than reading a 50 page chapter. The stories are really interesting and have ways for us to connect to them due to the diversity of different characters. Some stories have been harder to follow than others. "Araby" is humorous because the little boy creeps on his friends sister and then chickens out and does not buy her anything from the bazaar. Also "A Little Cloud" gives the impression that one needs to enjoy life. This is shown through Little Chandlers encounter with Gallaher becaue Gallaher brags about traveling the world and Chandler has to go home to a crying baby and a cranky wife. So both stories, along with the others, have little morals to them which makes me think more about life and what is important, and what is not.

Review:
Dubliners is different than any other of the summer reading books. It is easy to follow because even if you start to loose focus, the next chapter is about something completely different. Overall I liked the characters in the book, they were easy to connect with as well as understand. It was interesting to learn about life in Dublin during the time period. For example in "A Painful Case" Mrs.Sinicos husband just assumed because she was married and "old" that nobody would want to have a relationship with her. It must have been the time period where cheating was not as common and if it were occured, the other spouse would turn a blind eye. Although these stories were fun to read, I felt like I gained no new outlook of the world. Some little morals were understood, however there were so many that only a few barely stick with me. Quick and easy read but definately not life changing, which I look for in a novel if I'm taking the time to read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dubliners.