Tiffany's Reviews > Zero Day

F 50x66
Aug 22, 2011

liked it
Read from August 21 to 22, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Planes dropping out of the sky! Nuclear power plants having their entire computer systems go OFFLINE! Hospitals losing ALL of their patient information in a matter of seconds! Sounds really good right?! Well.....these events are carefully placed to keep you reading. I did like the book, but the computer jargon was a little off putting. I agree with the premise, which is why I picked the book up to read in the first place, but I am not a hacker and don't know any, so all this talk of rootkits and switches and everything and the technical innerworkings of each was a bit much.
Secondly, the ending was good, but a little hard to believe. The idea that everyone could just country hop as quickly as they did....that all the bad guys would just happen to be all in the same place at the same time....well....that was just a little too conveinent. That and the fact that in the end the damage they said was done was MINIMAL in respect to what they had been builiding up to. There was no way they could have passed out the nessecary information quickly enough to prevent the kind of damage the book was leading you to believe was going to occur.
Overall....it was a good read....just needs to dial down the DRAMA a little if the author doesn't plan to follow through in the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zero Day.

08/21/2011 page 171
52.0% "good book, but I kinda feel like I need to be a computer genius to understand it...we'll see how it turns out."