Natalie 's Reviews > Spell Bound

Aug 20, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read from August 20 to 21, 2011

In a Sentence: Spell Bound was a fast-paced, fun-to-read book, though I was a little disappointed by the number of loose ends that remained unresolved.

My Thoughts

As I said in my review of Waking the Witch, the book that precedes Spell Bound, I really like that you can pick up a book in The Otherworld series without necessarily having to have read all of the books in the series. The first book I read in this series WAS Waking the Witch, which technically is book number eleven. I never felt lost at all while reading either Waking the Witch or Spell Bound, but I could also tell that characters present in both of these books had other stories to tell.

I also really liked that the main character, Savannah, was twenty-one. Okay, so I might be a little biased because I'm twenty-one, but hear me out. I feel like there are tons of books focusing on teens and tons focusing on adults. However, I also feel that there seems to be this giant gap in books that are being published today. It's like you either write about characters in their late teens, or you jump to characters in their mid to late twenties. Maybe I'm missing some of what's out there, but I've found only a few books that focus on characters who are somewhere in between. I'd like for that age demographic to get a little more representation in literature, so kudos to Armstrong for that.

It was nice to get to see a little more of Savannah's vulnerable side in Spell Bound. Savannah sans power is a Savannah that is not at all sure of her place in the world. She spends a lot of the book coping with self worth issues and wondering just how much her powers affect the way other people view her. This event results in Savannah doing quite a bit of growing up because she has to learn to accept herself as she is...with or without her powers.

While I enjoyed Spell Bound and got through the book rather quickly, I felt that it landed strongly in the category of brain candy. While there's nothing wrong with brain candy, and I tend to enjoy it on a semi-regular basis, I felt that if there was alittle more development and a little more depth, I would have given Spell Boundfour stars instead of three. I also thought that a few things could have been better resolved by the end of the novel. Instead, I felt like the ending was a bit rushed and way too many questions were left unanswered...probably on purpose as a marketing strategy to draw the readers into the next book. It's not that I don't understand why this is done in the publishing world, and I don't expect everything to be tied up with a neat little bow when there's still a book left in the series, but there could have, and I would have liked there to have been, more closure.

Overall, I think most fans of Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld series will be happy with Spell Bound. If nothing else, there have been a lot of hints in both Waking the Witch and Spell Bound that the next book in the series will be pretty epic. Something big is coming, and I have to admit, I'm excited to see what it is!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spell Bound.