S.A.'s Reviews > Dead on the Delta

Dead on the Delta by Stacey Jay

4720883
Aug 21, 11

Read from August 20 to 21, 2011

Violent thunderstorms and the electricity flickering on and off made me hesitant to work on my latest story. Yeah, the computer has a surge protector but still... plus since I need to look at the keyboard when I write, well, I was screwed.

I gave up and snuggled down to read this book by flashlight.

Loved it!

Yeah, the main character is a alcoholic, fucked up mess of a woman, someone who hates herself so much she initially refuses to fix her own life. Refuses to accept she's more than meets the eye. Annabelle Lee is is already unusual, a human immune to fairy toxins, but as the story moves along, she discovers she's more unusual then she suspects.

But the author has a way of making the reader overlook the disaster. There's a point when you're close to giving up on Anabelle Lee, so close, but suddenly Jay steers the story in another direction. She makes it work, damn, does she make it work.

I'm not a huge fan of urban fantasy, but this book is more about a woman re-discovering herself than a woman needing to be saved by a "hero." Of course there's romance, allusions to sex and romantic conflict, but it doesn't dominate the story.

Plus there's magic and toxic fairies. I also love the nod to Poe in the character's name. Nice touch.

I definitely want to read more in this series.

There, the storms have passed. Back to my writing!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead on the Delta.