Ptreick's Reviews > Farewell to Manzanar

Farewell to Manzanar by Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston

Aug 20, 2011

Read in August, 2011

I just reread this book in preparation for teaching it to my seventh graders. The book is powerful, and the themes of nationality/ethnic heritage/prejudice/racism/acculturation are powerful; many of my students will relate to the Wakatsukis in one way or another.

I've probably read the book two or three times, and each time I do feel like I still don't have the best understanding of Japanese internment camps, specifically Manzanar.

Maybe this isn't so much a fault of this book as our culture overall, though -- if I go onto Netflix, I can find a zillion videos on concentration camps in Europe, but precious little on internment camps in the United States. Last year, assigning my students to research the topic online, I discovered a real dearth of useful information on the topic and for some odd reason, many of the sites were blocked.

What are we afraid to reveal about our own prejudices/past actions?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Farewell to Manzanar.

message 1: by Patricialogan8 (new)

Patricialogan8 if you like fiction read Silent Honor by Danielle Steel, pretty much same type of story, except it was Tanforan Assembly Center, I read it 10 times and am tempted to read it again after this book, I think it was wrong to detain the Japanese after Pearl Harbor the people living in US had no interest in attacking us

Ptreick I'll have to check it out! Thanks for the recommendation!

message 3: by Patricialogan8 (new)

Patricialogan8 you will love it:)