Emily Beeson's Reviews > Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back

Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo

Aug 20, 11

bookshelves: adult-non-fiction, christian, deliciously-clean-read
Read in August, 2011

Just before Colton turned four, he had a life-changing experience. During an emergency surgery when he almost died, Colton visited Heaven.

Over the next several years, he told his parents bits and pieces of his astounding story, revealing that he met Jesus, his miscarried sister, his deceased grandfather, and many others in Heaven.

This quick read is a bestseller, but I admit that I don't believe it completely.

Pros: It helps readers imagine Heaven, makes Jesus feel personable and shows His love for children, and supports the idea of eternal families.

Cons: I don't believe angels have wings. Four-year-olds can have pretty vivid imaginations, especially when they are exciting the interest of their parents. It was months after the surgery when Colton first mentioned having an out-of-body experience.

Who knows? It was an interesting read, and I don't feel like it was a waste of my time. My guess is that sweet Colton had some type of wonderful near-death experience, but the story became embellished over the years.

Heaven is for Real is written and narrated by Colton's father, who is a pastor. It is engaging, although it felt stretched a bit to be book-length. Also, the father's never-ending surprise with every new revelation about Colton's vision/dream/whatever you want to call it, was rather tiresome.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heaven is for Real.