Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > The Magician King

bookshelves: read2011, sci-fi-fantasy, abandoned
Read from November 07 to 13, 2011

50 page test. Ugh, nope, I just can't do it. The structure so far has been:
1. Mention of tiny plot point
2. Immediate reminder by author that this tiny plot point is hilarious because Quentin is a kid! A normal kid! See how funny that just was?!?

I know some people really enjoy the meta nature of these books, but it isn't done in a way that still allows for a satisfying story. Not for me. If I want Narnia or Harry Potter I'll just reread those.

I wish I could buy a print of the cover art, just the same. It is the cover that drew me into the first one as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magician King.

11/12/2011 page 34

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jenny (Reading Envy) the review in the NY Times makes me think there will be just as much to love/hate in the second one as I found in The Magicians.

message 2: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome Oh noes.

message 3: by terpkristin (new) - added it

terpkristin Well that's discouraging. But I'll probably still read at least The Magicians...

Jenny (Reading Envy) Well I'm only 34 pages in... I haven't made my own decision yet. Patience!

Andrew Did you like the first book?

Jenny (Reading Envy) Andrew wrote: "Did you like the first book?"

No, I didn't, but then I felt guilty....

Andrew Jenny wrote: "Andrew wrote: "Did you like the first book?"

No, I didn't, but then I felt guilty...."

haha. The cover is nice. Wonder if you can get a print of the artwork (you don't know who did it?). The book seems to get middling reviews as a whole.

It's been a book on my radar, but theres always been something else I've wanted to read more.

message 8: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy I gave up, too. Very disappointing. I *almost* gave up on the first one, but pushed my way through and ended up enjoying it for the most part (though I felt guilty I didn't like it more!). Just couldn't do it with this one.

message 9: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP I didn't really think much of the first book so I think I am even going skip this sequel.