Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > The Magician King

bookshelves: read2011, sci-fi-fantasy, abandoned
Read from November 07 to 13, 2011

50 page test. Ugh, nope, I just can't do it. The structure so far has been:
1. Mention of tiny plot point
2. Immediate reminder by author that this tiny plot point is hilarious because Quentin is a kid! A normal kid! See how funny that just was?!?

I know some people really enjoy the meta nature of these books, but it isn't done in a way that still allows for a satisfying story. Not for me. If I want Narnia or Harry Potter I'll just reread those.

I wish I could buy a print of the cover art, just the same. It is the cover that drew me into the first one as well.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magician King.

11/12/2011 page 34

Jenny (Reading Envy) the review in the NY Times makes me think there will be just as much to love/hate in the second one as I found in The Magicians.

message 2: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome Oh noes.

message 3: by terpkristin (new) - added it

terpkristin Well that's discouraging. But I'll probably still read at least The Magicians...

Jenny (Reading Envy) Well I'm only 34 pages in... I haven't made my own decision yet. Patience!

Andrew Did you like the first book?

Jenny (Reading Envy) Andrew wrote: "Did you like the first book?"

No, I didn't, but then I felt guilty....

Andrew Jenny wrote: "Andrew wrote: "Did you like the first book?"

No, I didn't, but then I felt guilty...."

haha. The cover is nice. Wonder if you can get a print of the artwork (you don't know who did it?). The book seems to get middling reviews as a whole.

It's been a book on my radar, but theres always been something else I've wanted to read more.

message 8: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy I gave up, too. Very disappointing. I *almost* gave up on the first one, but pushed my way through and ended up enjoying it for the most part (though I felt guilty I didn't like it more!). Just couldn't do it with this one.

message 9: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP I didn't really think much of the first book so I think I am even going skip this sequel.