Barbara's Reviews > Article 5

Article 5 by Kristen Simmons

Aug 20, 11

bookshelves: dystopian
Read in August, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Yep, here comes another dystopian novel. In a United States somewhere in the future--I hope it's long, long in the future--most major cities have been abandoned, and Moral Statutes have replaced the Bill of Rights. Citizens have few rights, and the Moral Militia--gotta love that name!--is allowed to barge into citizens' homes to inspect their reading material or possible contraband. They also enforce any laws the government deems necessary, even retroactive laws. In the case of Ember's mother, Article 5 relates to her having given birth to Ember out of wedlock, which in the country's ever-increasing concern about morality means she has broken the law. It doesn't matter that this law was not in existence when Ember was born. Ember watches as her mother is arrested, and then she is taken to a reform school. One of the arresting officers turns out to be Chase, her lifelong love. The rest of the book consists of Ember's determination to escape and be reunited with her mother through a series of underground avenues. Readers will relish the action, the surprises, and the he loves me/he hates me/I love him/I hate him exchanges between Ember and Chase while they're on the run, and wonder about how easy it is to break a human being or to leave the law behind. This one raises plenty of questions and is sure to make readers look twice at those around them since they may find that it's hard to know who you can trust. There was never any doubt in my mind that Chase loved Ember, and every time she bristled or avoided him because she thought he didn't, I just shook my head at her lack of awareness. I lowered my rating due to that and also because I wanted the author to provide more details about Ember's life before all these changes.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Article 5.