Holden Attradies's Reviews > Why People Believe Weird Things: Pseudoscience, Superstition, and Other Confusions of Our Time

Why People Believe Weird Things by Michael Shermer

Aug 20, 2011

bookshelves: skeptics-shelf, favorites
Read in August, 2011

This book is not only an incredibly good book but was what lead me to the Skeptic community.

I found this book at a point in my life where my belief in a lot of really weird things had caused me to hurt and upset many people. I wasn't happy with just accepting I had made mistakes, but wanted to know how and why I had fallen into believing so many incredibly strange things. IT was the title alone I think that lead me to getting this book, but holy hell was it illuminating.

It lays out in pretty plain language how our thought patterns can easily be fooled, and ways to perhaps be on guard. After reading this I read more works by Shermer and eventually started subscribing to Skeptic magazine (which he edits). Through that found many other authors, web sites, and pod casts that can all be described as part of the skeptic community. All of which has had a huge impact on my life, especially in helping me keep an eye on my "fantasy prone personality". I never want to be in a place where my thinking can be so off, so "weird" that it leads me to making the kind of mistakes I've made in the past, and skepticism brings so many tools to the table to help me prevent that.

All of which I would have never found if it had not been for this wonderful little book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why People Believe Weird Things.