Karah's Reviews > Love the One You're With

Aug 20, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: chick-lit
Read in August, 2011

Although I love most of Emily Giffin's books, this was not my favorite. As I started reading it, I had the distinct feeling that I had read it before---but I finally figured out that I only had started it and then put it down. For me, it was slow moving and difficult to fall into. However, since it is summer, I had more determination to read it than I probably do during the school year. Overall, I wouldn't recommend this book unless you're really desperate for something to read--and don't mind reading half of the book before it picks up the pace a little. :)

What's the book about?
This book follows Ellen, a NYC photographer who has recently married her best friend's brother. While she seemingly has everything that anyone could wish for (a handsome & smart husband, beautiful best friend, great family, great job, good relationship with her sister & father, plenty of family money, etc.) she finds herself constantly thinking about her ex-boyfriend, Leo, after running into him on the street one day. Although she is still a newlywed, she is instantly drawn back into her obsession with Leo and finds ways to justify her feelings throughout the book. In the middle of this, her husband lands a job in his hometown, Atlanta, and the two of them move to a new area--complete with new friends and all of the traditional cliches.

As Ellen settles into her new life, she finds herself thinking more about Leo and feeling detached from her life in Atlanta. While I'm sure this is certainly possible, it was difficult for me to really understand her feelings for her ex. We know very little about him and as the reader, I think we are already rooting for her husband & best friend! So when she decides to follow Leo in the city-- "only for work"-- it just doesn't make sense to me. Ultimately, I think this is the reason the book was just very....weird for me. I also think that the author could have delved much deeper into the lost relationship of Ellen and her mother, whom died of cancer years earlier. I think it would have brought a needed element to the book, but instead, Giffin only skims over the issue--while bringing it up constantly throughout the book. (If she's going to be thinking about it so much, then perhaps she could have addressed it?)

As the book crept along, I found myself finally interested in the characters. The final quarter of the book was very good-- and I am impressed with the ending of it. I think that readers will hang onto Giffin--as long as she doesn't produce too many more books like this one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love the One You're With.