Cheryl's Reviews > Portrait of a Monster: Joran van der Sloot, a Murder in Peru, and the Natalee Holloway Mystery

Portrait of a Monster by Lisa Pulitzer

Aug 20, 11

bookshelves: adult-nonfiction, true-crime
Read in August, 2011

Readers of true crime will appreciate the meticulous research that provided the information presented in this book. In May 2005, American student Natalee Holloway vanished while vacationing on the island of Aruba. The prime suspect in her disappearance was a young resident of Aruba, Joran van der Sloot. Although an exhaustive search was conducted, Natalee was never found. Five years to the day, another young woman, Stephany Flores, was found brutally murdered in Peru. Her body was discovered in a hotel room occupied by former Aruba native, Joran van der Sloot. Lisa Pulitzer and Cole Thompson provide an objective recounting of events involved in both cases, and detail the frustration faced by investigators as they attempted to provide justice to the victims' families. The result, truly, is a portrait of a monster.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Portrait of a Monster.

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol Some cases jsut grab me and this is one of them. Though I haven't read this, I think I will at some point. Natalee haunts me and van der Sloot sickens me.

Cheryl I feel the same way! After reading this, I'm convinced he's either mentally disturbed or just plain evil. I feel so very sorry for those families. And Natalee's doesn't even know what happened to her to this day. As a parent I can't even imagine how they can get through each day, year, holiday, etc. Stephany's parents have to suffer the same way, but at least they could bury their child and knew what had happened to her even though that is a terrible thing to know.