Trudi's Reviews > Forgotten

Forgotten by Cat Patrick

Aug 21, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads, fantastical-speculative, twss, love-the-premise, love-actually, young-adult
Read from August 20 to 21, 2011

I've definitely got a weakness for books / movies that deal with memory. Forgotten tells the story of 16-yr-old London, whose only memories are not of her past but of her future. Huh? Sounds weird, doesn't it? Well it is weird, and while London's unusual plight is by no means fully explained, I was never left with the impression that it involved something supernatural or paranormal. If anything, this book is very much grounded in realism, save for this one unusual detail of London's malfunctioning memory.

I read this book in one huge gulp, just tearing through the pages. The premise is so original that I was hooked from the beginning and instantly came down with a case of "the gottas" -- as in, I just gotta know what happens next!! I remember (no pun intended) experiencing a similar case of the gottas when I read Lisa McMann's Wake, another compulsive page-turner featuring a young girl with an unusual affliction.

If you haven’t read it, I highly recommend that you do! In it, McMann introduces readers to Cabel (who I crowned the boyfriend we all wish we had in high school). And he still is IMO, but whoa mama, has he got some serious competition in Luke. I mean, is this guy for real or what? At times, he was almost too saccharine-sweet perfect and I didn’t know whether to puke or to run screaming to the dentist. I did neither, because in the end he completely won me over. Grown men who wish to woo their long-term partners would seriously benefit from taking a few pages from “the book of Luke” – this guy has got it figured out gentlemen. Trust me.

So yeah, while there is mystery in this story, and while there is high school drama, this is mostly a teen romance. I don’t want to lie to you about that, in case you might have been getting other ideas. But it’s a romance that is tested by a pretty unusual problem – that being the girl has no past memories but a whole life of future memories. This makes her present very interesting. Forget girl meets boy, try girl meets boy over and over again because she can never remember him. Okay, I know it’s a stretch, but I promise if you suspend disbelief for just a moment, the story really will sweep you up and away. This part of the book reminded me a lot of the movie 50 First Dates.

How would you live if you weren’t able to remember what happened yesterday, but you know what will happen next week? A year from now? Ten years from now? Do you accept your fate? Do you try to change it? Most importantly, do you keep your mouth shut about the fate of others? Imagine knowing when someone was going to die, even how they were going to die? That is one burden I could live without. I am a firm believer in ignorance is bliss. I think. And ultimately, that’s what I loved about this book the most, it made me think. Are our futures written in stone? Is it destiny or free-will?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forgotten.