Sarah Castillo's Reviews > The Tempering of Men

The Tempering of Men by Sarah Monette

Aug 20, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction
Read in August, 2011

The sequel to A Companion to Wolves, The Tempering of Men by Elizabeth Bear and Sarah Monette​ deliver another emotional, action packed and thought provoking novel.

Everything I liked about the first book was in this book. The subtle politics of the wolf pack, the exploration, and the sensitive portrayal of gender-queer and homosexual individuals make this book a real stand out.

In this book another interesting gender topic comes up. The introduction of sworn-men; an analog of the Sworn Virgins of Albania and Montenegro, in which women due to a scarcity of men, swear of marriage and live as men. This isn't the only important thing about this character, but it is an interesting facet of the character and how he lives in the masculine society. There's also a female supporting character who gives us a picture of how a female who lives as a female lives, and suffers, in this particular world.

All and all it's an fascinating novel. Again, there is violence, though less than the last book, and graphic portrayals of homosexual sex(again, less than the last book). My only complaint is that it ended very abruptly. I don't like to be jarred at the end of a book!

Check out my other reviews at my blog
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tempering of Men.