Sharon's Reviews > Across the Great Barrier

Across the Great Barrier by Patricia C. Wrede

F 50x66
Aug 21, 11

Read in August, 2011

As a high school English teacher, I should be greatly concerned with plot and characterization and other literary elements within a story. But when I read books for pleasure, I'm not looking for any of those things. I'm simply looking to enjoy a good book. For me, this was definitely a book worth reading and rereading.
I was introduced to Patricia Wrede several years ago through her Dealing with Dragons series. I loved those books because they ran the gamut of reading levels, and my students could all enjoy them. I have read them several times since. I looked for more books by her throughout the years, but didn't find any. Then in July of this year, I discovered Thirteenth Child. I read it in a day. Then I discovered that the next book wasn't available at that time. Yesterday, I got a review of Across the Great Barrier from Goodreads. I immediately ordered it and read until late last night. I finished the book this morning. Now, how long am I going to have to wait for the next book? Much too long! I'm ready now to continue the series.
Yes, the plot could probably be better. But the characters seem well defined and are struggling with self-identify issues, just as many of my students are. Indeed, if you are looking for a fairly quick read, one that will engage your mind and spirit, this is the book for you.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Across the Great Barrier.

Chelsea Patricia C Werede is a great author.Her books from the Lyra series are really good as well. My favorite in the Lyra series is the Raven Ring.

Sharon Chelsea wrote: "Patricia C Werede is a great author.Her books from the Lyra series are really good as well. My favorite in the Lyra series is the Raven Ring."

Thanks, Chelsea, I'll have to look for the Lyra series. I'm always looking for good books to read and enjoy.

message 3: by Chelsea (last edited Oct 10, 2011 01:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chelsea Sharon wrote: "Chelsea wrote: "Patricia C Werede is a great author.Her books from the Lyra series are really good as well. My favorite in the Lyra series is the Raven Ring."

Thanks, Chelsea, I'll have to look ..."

Some other books you might enjoy are Magyk and The Dark Is Rising.

Sharon Chelsea wrote: "Sharon wrote: "Chelsea wrote: "Patricia C Werede is a great author.Her books from the Lyra series are really good as well. My favorite in the Lyra series is the Raven Ring."

Thanks, Chelsea, I..."

I checked at our school library. Both of them are there. I'll try to get one of them tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions. Have you read any of Piers Anthony's Xanth series? You might enjoy them.

message 5: by Chelsea (last edited Oct 10, 2011 06:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chelsea Sharon wrote: "Chelsea wrote: "Sharon wrote: "Chelsea wrote: "Patricia C Werede is a great author.Her books from the Lyra series are really good as well. My favorite in the Lyra series is the Raven Ring."

Than..."

Than..."

Thanks for the recomendation, I will look into them and see if my library has any of them.

Sharon Chelsea, Just wanted you to know that I have started the Lyra series with Shadow Magic. Great book. May I suggest Saving Elizabeth by Amy Machelle (if you have an ereader)?