April's Reviews > Fragile

Fragile by Lisa Unger

Aug 21, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads
Read from August 20 to 21, 2011

A book that explores the complexity of secrets, families, and small towns. Sometimes the secrets meant to protect loved ones can end up doing more harm than the reality of the truth. In a rare case, I felt as though this book was too long. It ended for me about fifty pages before I closed the back cover. There was an attempt to tie up all the lose ends, make sense of things, and that to me, dragged on and on.

I did, however, find the storyline about the agony and anxiety of teenagers to be captivating and completely horrifying. As a parent, the lines about losing your children a little everyday, as well as the ability to temper their situations, help them, save them...caused me to stay up long after the book was over. I am perhaps too aware that in the near future difficult situations and bad days will no longer be solved by a hug and Jamba Juice. The tantrums and whining will be replaced with challenges far more real: bullying, self esteem, the lure of drugs and alcohol. There is one paragraph in the book that basically says as parents we provide the love, safe environment, wisdom but ultimately it's up to our kids to make the choice, to take the action and that is terrifying, especially given the nature of this book. Eh read, amazing food for thought.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fragile.