Jessica's Reviews > Underdogs

Jan 18, 12

bookshelves: all-timefavorites, youngadult
Read from January 15 to 17, 2012

Magnificent!

I know THE BOOK THIEF is the one that all kiddies rave about, and don't get me wrong: that is a brilliant book and I love it. But then I discovered GETTING THE GIRL, which led me to find FIGHTING RUBEN WOLFE, which brings us here, to the first US publication of THE UNDERDOG, contained in this omnibus of all three Wolfe brothers books. If you don't, from the first chapter of THE UNDERDOG (or any of the other two, really), fall madly in love with the endearingly awkward and yet strangely beautiful Cameron Wolfe, then something is terribly wrong with you. Cameron's voice is so clear, so poetic, and so raw, that I could literally read about him all day, every day. Cameron feels like a friend, an intimate friend, like your brother even. The things that happen in these books are heartbreaking, yet not without humor, and not without (most importantly) hope. So many authors (particularly in YA) don't seem to understand that human beings need that ray of hope to carry on. The characters need it to feel real, and like their lives will continue beyond the pages of the book, and the reader needs it in order to feel good about the book after they close the covers.

These books are proof that Zusak is a born writer. Each book here is separate, and yet each is a part of the same magnificent story. THE UNDERDOG, has a beautiful, clear naivete. FIGHTING RUBEN WOLFE is raw and powerful, and GETTING THE GIRL is like a burst of light. Read them separately, read them all at once, I don't care! JUST READ THEM!

And if I ever start a band, our name is going to be Bloody Miffy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Underdogs.

01/17/2012 page 315
63.0% "THE UNDERDOG was superb, FIGHTING RUBEN WOLFE was still gorgeous 2nd time around, now I'm on to GETTING THE GIRL, probably my favorite."