Elise Stone's Reviews > Aunt Dimity's Death

Aunt Dimity's Death by Nancy Atherton

Aug 20, 2011

did not like it
Read in July, 2011

I think that this book is the perfect example of how expectations can color your impression of a book. Although the front cover boasts "One of the 100 best mysteries of all time," this book isn't really a mystery.

There's no murder. There's no hunt for whodunnit. There's no bad guy.

I was expecting a traditional murder mystery, something along the lines of Agatha Christie perhaps, because I knew the story was partially set in an English cottage. I was drawn into the opening. The main character, Lori Shepherd, is sympathetic and I found myself rooting for her to have a better life for herself than she's had so far. But once it became evident that there was no murder mystery in this story, I was disappointed.

It's hard for me to judge the book based on the reality versus my expectation. It's a sweet read and more of a romance than a mystery, but it doesn't even have passion in the romance. It's almost as if the author wasn't sure what she wanted to write.

The Aunt Dimity series is very popular, so it must be appealing to a number of readers. Personally, I would have liked to have something more happen, stronger emotions, and a nice, juicy killing with a puzzle to figure out. I doubt that I'll be reading any more books in this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aunt Dimity's Death.

03/19/2016 marked as: read

Melanie I agree completely with your review. It's a supernatural romance.

Dana This is exactly the review I would have written if you hadn't already. It did not live up to my expectations.

erinthedreamer Totally agree, I was expecting Agatha Christie based on the cover and blurb and it was nothing like that. Great review.

Judith A mystery does not always have a murder attached to it...a murder mystery is totally different from a mystery. I don't understand why people always want to "rewrite" someone's story.

ashley I understand what you are saying, but the fact that there's no murder doesn't make it any less of a mystery. I think it makes it more of a mystery that the average human could possibly relate to.