Charlene's Reviews > Merciless

Merciless by Diana Palmer

Aug 27, 13

bookshelves: reviewed, romance, suspense
Read on August 20, 2011

A broad description of this books might read like this: Native American FBI agents, their families, and other law enforcement colleagues are threatened by an extended family of criminals, some more lawless than others. Relationships among the characters are complicated by personal situations which intrude upon, and overlap, the primary professional settings; these include but are not limited to some of the characters' past crimes and misdemeanors.

My unconfirmed impression is that this book is part of an ongoing series, but the author provides no coherent background for the reader who begins here. I've read several books by this author before and I kept hoping in vain that things would become clearer as I turned the pages.

The author needs to have invested more in her characters' development, especially with regard to the two adults committed to chastity before marriage, one of whom is the parent of an illegitimate child. Sadly, the all too frequent gaps in dialogue and the disruption caused by scenes repeatedly jumping back and forth, with little transition, was disconcerting.

Basically, this is a book that seems to have been released as a rough draft; more careful editing and judicious employment of an outside reader's comments could have resulted in a more interesting and engaging read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Merciless.