Melindeeloo's Reviews > Body of Sin

Aug 20, 2011

bookshelves: paranormal-romance
Read from August 20 to 21, 2011

Great encore to Silver's 'Sin'fully good Otherkin series

Although she can mask her signature and appear human, Bryn is a Walker, an Otherkin with the ability to guide souls through the Underworld. Bryn and her daughter Dana have been on the run from those who would use Bryn's talent, but when Bryn discovers that it is now her daughter who is sought by a being of unbeatable power, Bryn will make the ultimate sacrifice in order to retrieve from the Land of the Dead the only person who can protect Dana - a person who has already sacrificed everything once to keep Dana safe.

Even though the previous book of Silver's Otherkin, Sins of the Flesh, completed the series arc with three sons of the Egyptian God of Chaos Sutekh uncovering the killer of a brutally murdered Soul Reaper, Body of Sin ties off a loose end left dangling by the circumstances of that discovery.

***** Warning: If you haven't yet read Eve Silver's previous Otherkin or the back cover blurb for Body of Sin, the identity of Bryn's charge is a mild spoiler for the first three books. *****

At the conclusion to Sins of the Flesh it just felt like there should be more to story of Lokan Krayl - the final son of Sutekh who was murdered at the start of the series. Body of Sin is that story and it's a good one. I liked Lokan, who had been Sutekh's golden son, and it was interesting to see who he becomes over the course of the story and surprisingly, since she didn't really make it out of the woodwork in the earlier books, I ended up liking his heroine Bryn as well. However, the best part of the Body of Sin is that Silver deftly weaves threads from Lokan's past – including his lusty first encounter with Bryn - with those from their present. The way that the journey through the Twelve Gates allows the pair to come to trust each other and to get past the lies that limited their relationship was really well done. And I was moved by the moments in the story when Lokan learns the true cost of his freedom and by Bryn's earlier reunion with her brother Jack.

*****End Spoiler Zone****

As icing on the cake, Body of Sins gives Otherkin fans a final bow by pretty much all of the starring pairs from the earlier books (which also include Sins of the Heart, Sins of the Soul, and the connected novella Sins Daughter), and it does it all in the 'world' rich with the Egyptian death mythology that makes this series so uniquely enjoyable. Even though Body of Sin does nicely wrap up everything that has come before, the introduction of some intriguing new characters has me hoping that Silver has plans to return to the world of the Otherkin in the near future – I would really like to see more of the Falconer brothers, Boone, Jack and Cahn.

This review is for the ARC version of Body of Sin that I received free from Netgalley for review – but I am also the soon to be proud owner of the Kindle version which I purchased myself.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Body of Sin.

08/20/2011
65.0% "I love this series, and am really enjoying this encore, all of the characters from the earlier books are here - it did take a little bit to get back up to speed on who everyone was. I was tickled to get a copy for review from netgalley - even though I have the kindle version on preorder"
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by jD (new) - rated it 4 stars

jD I was concerned this book was never going to get done. I did not feel the other 3 books made a complete story even with the murder solved. It was clear Lokan's body needed to be found. I look forward to reading this when my pile goes down a little more. Good review. Thanks.

Melindeeloo Thanks:) I remember reading the last page of the third book and feeling that it wasn't over, that arc feel complete now.s