Tatiana's Reviews > Naked in Death

bookshelves: abandoned, romancelandia
Recommended to Tatiana by: Emily May
Recommended for: romance readers
Read from August 20 to 22, 2011

... and I was enjoying it up until too swift of a turn into Romancelandia.

The popularity of Naked in Death is completely understandable to me. The attraction here is the same as in the most of urban fantasy IMO. Mystery-solving, some world-building (in this case, futuristic instead of paranormal) - it all is only background noise. What you are actually anticipating is the heroine's hookup with some handsome hunk. (That's what I read urban fantasy for anyway.) And the hunk here is something special - (1) he is drowning in money; (2) super hot; (3) has morals; (4) buys the heroine stuff; (5) feeds her; (6) he adores everything about the heroine from the get-go; (7), (8), (9) and (10) HE SPEAKS WITH AN IRISH ACCENT. What's not to like, right?

Unfortunately, Roarke never managed to work his magic on me. I thought he was controlling, patronizing, stalkerish even, always forcing Eve out of her comfort zone and himself on her (in that signature way - I am going to make you have the most intense orgasm you've ever had, no matter if you want it or not, because I know what you need better than you ).

Plus, as I've noted above, the switch from mystery to romance was too early in the book. Quarter in, second meeting, and already "her small, firm breast weighed gloriously in his palm" and "he wanted to forget the patience and control he'd taught himself to live by, and just ravage." This bodice-ripperish language totally killed my mood. At that point, I already knew how it would unfold, with "throbbing," "wetness," "I want you but I can't" and so on.

Sorry ladies, but romance is not quite my thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Naked in Death.

08/20/2011 page 30

Comments (showing 1-25)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Emily the in death series are one of my favourites. I've a soft spot for J.D.Robb/Nora Roberts :)

Emily May oh, I seriously hope you like this!

Tatiana I like it so far:)

Emily May yay!

message 21: by Tatiana (last edited Aug 20, 2011 05:37PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tatiana It's a good audio. Doesn't require a lot of concentration and it's entertaining. Fingers crossed I will continue liking it.

HuhWhat I love, love, love the In Death series ! I read the 1st one shortly after it came out and followed it til a few years ago. I'm hoping to get back into the series in a few months but i just had to say, I'm so glad to meet other people that enjoy it too. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you lol.

Giselle Hope you like this series. I read the first 14 or so. They're pretty good.

Giselle I agree Roarke can be a bit asshole-ish at times haha. I guess they're not for everyone.

Emily May Aww, I'm heartbroken :( but thanks for trying anyway!

Tatiana Emily wrote: "Aww, I'm heartbroken :( but thanks for trying anyway!"

Sorry, Emily. I was liking it for a while. But I just can't do too romance-driven novels any more. This is probably where out tastes differ the most. Almost everywhere else we seem to be in sync.

Emily May Okay, no romance in future - I promise :D

Kat Kennedy Oh dear! I was about to start this one too! Good review! Love your comment about Irish accents - so true!

Tatiana Kat wrote: "Oh dear! I was about to start this one too! Good review! Love your comment about Irish accents - so true!"

The narrator did it so well too. Swoon!

But hey, don't let me stop you from trying this. Works for many.

message 12: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Very entertaining review. Sounds like my kind of book, although if you ask me, I'll deny it!

message 11: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Hm - I've long been thinking about picking these up because, well, I though they were mysteries with a sub-current of romance. I put off starting because there were so many of them. However, even though I'm sometimes okay with plenty of romance, your description makes it clear this isn't a male-female dynamic I enjoy.

Thanks for the review. :)

Kat Kennedy I think I already have at least the first one so I might still give it a go - but I hate that pushy alpha male bullshit so I might end up tossing it if your review is anything to go by!

message 9: by Andrea (last edited Dec 09, 2011 10:05PM) (new)

Andrea Hehe, too bad you didn't keep reading this series so you could add "and the guy never gets to have a first name. " Terrible repetitive books with very one dimensional chars; I don't get her popularity - pure self insertion fantasies?

Tatiana I don't get popularity of many bestselling authors (Jodi Picoult, Jennifer Weiner, Nicholas Sparks, etc., etc.), but there must be something compelling about their books that makes people buy millions of them.

message 7: by Nearly (new)

Nearly Thanks so much for saving me from this tripe. Nora Roberts writing as "JB Robb" -- how disingenuous if she's publishing the same pablum for the 50 Shades crowd.

Emily hmmmm....a little harsh Pkhunter...#1 Nora Roberts has been writing well before the 50 Shades phenomenon and #2 the only reason she used a pseudonym was because the genre she was writing in (romance) wouldn't allow her to foray into other genres like mystery & suspense. As soon as it became obvious that her In Death series became popular, all her new books (after Judgement in Death) have "Nora Roberts writing as J.D.Robb". You are of course, entitled to your opinion on whether you think it's tripe, however, she's not disingenuous.

message 5: by Yui (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yui Wow. Romance is just my thing so I'm taking this out of the dark room where I stock forgotten books. I like a good UF but I admit the only reason I read a long series is to get to the HEA and the after after. There is much to praise in almost tragedy books that test our emotional investment which should have been solid esp. if you have yrs of time and money investment but very few live up to the bittersweet satisfaction of having our hearts broken in the end. So romance is safer. Thanks.

Kimberley Can someone please explain to me the fascination with the alpha male lead? Almost always, as shown in this book, they're borderline crazy (if not utterly over the border living comfortably in Lunaticland. I'm looking at you, Christian Grey). I just don't understand. At one point in this book, Roarke/Edward/Christian let's himself into her empty apartment without her permission. HE BREAKS INTO HER APARTMENT. This is not romantic. This is illegal and something a stalker would do.

message 3: by Yui (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yui Wow. I just can't resist championing Roarke after being addicted to this series, I resent him being included in any list with Edward and Christian. I wish you continued on with the series Tatiana. the romance didn't really slowed or died but it's not as annoying. it's rather like a comforting constant thing inthe background after a while.and Eve stands up for herself and only get bullied when she isn't sleeping or eating.(^-^)

message 2: by Yui (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yui I reverse myself.. i just remembered that breaking into her apartment scene. I apologize, but i'm blurring the scene from my mind again after this post.

message 1: by David (last edited Jul 20, 2014 05:08PM) (new) - added it

David Ha! I wish I read your review before I started reading this. I hate to say that I quit about when the girl's parents told our Seamus that they asked Roarke to help their daughter. I really read ALL fiction genres and I typically enjoy them. This book has so much potential as a thriller, but it focuses too much on the romance for my personal taste.

This may come off as terribly sexist, but I did not enjoy the protagonist is the cliched id of every shrinking violet and, from what I have read, Roarke seems simply too perfect. OH! BUT HE'S JUST SOOOOO ARROGANT (but that's just because he's SOOOOOO PERFECT, no?) ;) ...

Anyway, Robb is an excellent writer all around so give me a reason to finish this one. Tell me.... IS IT WORTH IT? I read and enjoy the Robert B. Parker Spenser series and he revels in a lot of those same cliches for his characters as Robb does (just flip the gender and the stereotypes) so I think I can finish this if you think that the pay off is enough.