Lora's Reviews > Magic Bleeds

Magic Bleeds by Ilona Andrews

4632071
Sep 05, 11

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, lib-read, series-still-follow
Recommended for: fans of the previous books
Read from August 20 to 22, 2011, read count: 1

While the covers never cease being hideous, each installment in the Kate Daniels series hasn't ceased to entertain me thus far. The fourth installment, Magic Bleeds, features a crocodile shapeshifter, a splendid impersonation of Mr. and Mrs. Smith, and a battle to end all battles. It is one hell of a ride.

I think one of the best things about this series is that it is appealing to both genders. It has lots of action, which of course men like, but I think I speak for all women when I say that we like action, too. It keeps things interesting and wards off dullness. There's also just the right amount of romance. Not so much that would make guys squeamish, but still enough to keep the ladies satisfied.
And, while I think the first book was slightly lacking in this area, the humor is now on par with my taste as well. Kate seems to have better quips with each installment and never looses her nerve, even with Curran. And the banter and antics between Kate and Curran are sure to entertain most readers.

I have theories on some of the reasons why Kate and Curran are attracted to each other. I think Kate likes Curran because he's one of the few people who could take her in a fight. Imagine if every guy you met you were superior to in fighting skills and he couldn't even win against you in a late-night arm wrestle. I'm sure there are plenty of women who enjoy being the stronger of the two in their relationship, but I don't believe that's the kind of relationship Kate wants. That is just one of the many reasons why Kate and Crest never would have worked out. I think Curran makes Kate feel like a woman for the first time in a long time.
And although he'd probably never admit it, I believe Curran's attracted to Kate because she doesn't take any of his shit. Unlike everyone else in his life, she doesn't bow to him, literally or figuratively. I think, secretly, the Beast Lord wants someone to treat him like a normal man, like he's just another person, even if only in private. At times, Curran and Kate collide like fire and kerosene - but they truly fit together like two matching jigsaw pieces.

And do I smell a potential spin-off series in the oven? Granted, the buzzer won't go off for at least a couple of years, but when it does it'll surely be some good eatin'! Here's my reasoning: In Magic Strikes we find out through a conversation that Kate was nine when Curran was fifteen and made Lord of all Beasts. This, of course, tells us that Curran is six years older than Kate. Well, we know that Julie and Derek are thirteen and nineteen, respectively, as of now. Do you see where I'm going with this? Once Julie gets older, her and Derek could have their own series! Her abilities coupled with the adolescent attraction she currently has for Derek could really make for an interesting future series. . . .

I'll be honest: people with weak stomachs may not be able to stomach some of the talk of entrails and the bloody descriptions in this series. With lots of action comes lots of violence and gore. Normally that sort of thing would bother me, but I've gotten so used to it with this series that I don't even notice anymore. Plus it just seems to fit with this world.

I'm actually feeling a little sad now because I know that once I finish the next installment, Magic Slays, that'll be it until February of 2013 when the next book is released. I've quickly become addicted to this series and I'm reluctant to leave it.

P.S. But, luckily, Andrews won't leave us hanging until then! For the full info, go here.

**************************************************************

My reviews of other titles in this series:

Book #1 - Magic Bites
Book #2 - Magic Burns
Book #3 - Magic Strikes

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Bleeds.

08/20/2011 page 191

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Thanks to you I just bought the first one in this series, it looks and sounds really good!:)

Kathryn I couldn't agree with you more on your first sentence !! it just made laugh lol

I totally agree with your analysis about why Kate and Curran are attracted to each other. In a way, I feel like Curran needs Kate to stay sane more than she needs him.

And while I never read a spin off series, I would totally read the one from this series !! The way the author writes about Derek, you can feel that she has a whole lot of affection for him =) and I do too !

Loved your review =)

Lora Thanks, Kathryn:) I'm glad you agree.

oliviasbooks "Andrea's book". Phhh. Bad idea this "Little Red Riding Hood Habit" of the publishers: They send their authors off to pick flowers while they are popular.

Lora I see what you mean. I'm still glad she's getting her own book, though. :)

Lisa O. February 2013 totally sucks. But your review does NOT! :D Love it.

Lora Well thanks, Lisa:) Feb 2013 does suck, though. That seems like a really long time to wait for more Curran of this series.

Chachic Before I read the Kate Daniels series, I really thought urban fantasy wasn't my thing. Ilona Andrews changed my mind about that! Love both Kate and Curran and I agree with what you said about why they're attracted to each other. It IS going to be a long wait for the next book but I'd gladly read anything that they write. I read even their novellas and short stories :P

Lora I feel the same way! I wasn't really into urban fantasy until I tried Ilona Andrews. And I read the short stories, too! :)