Lin's Reviews > Achtbaan [Riding the Bullet]

Achtbaan [Riding the Bullet] by Stephen King

Aug 16, 09

bookshelves: dutch, owned

Good grief I hate reading things in the Dutch translation. This was a gift, and I read it because hey, it's short, but the Dutch translation butchered the crap out of it. And it wasn't too good a story to begin with, people - this is the kind of non-scary scary story you expect to find in a children's book, maybe, for kids who haven't been beaten to death by all the clichés yet.

But okay. I have a thing against English books that are translated into Dutch. Because Dutch translations? Are usually not that good. I did some courses on translating in university (enough to make me a translator, actually, I have the credentials to be able to work as one) and learned there are actually several rules with regards to translating other people's works, in order to protect the author's original intent. But guess what - I have yet to come across a Dutch translation that does not break those rules. And this irks me. I know it's not fair, because I am bilingual and in a position where I can read the original work with no problem, a luxury not all of my fellow countrymen can afford, but it bothers me.

So in a way I do feel I should apologize to Mr. King for basing my opinion of his novel on a version he didn't actually write himself. I suppose I should read the original English version sometime.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Achtbaan [Riding the Bullet].