Robyn's Reviews > Blood Red Road

Blood Red Road by Moira Young

Jan 21, 12

bookshelves: dystopian, relationships, sci-fi, survial, young-adult
Read in January, 2012

I’m kind of sick of cliffhangers…

It seems to be a popular trend of young adult novels, well, that and dysfunctional romances. I can hear the publisher rubbing his/her moisturized hands together and saying, “It’s sells, doesn’t it?”

Blood Red Road doesn’t really end as a cliffhanger but more of a view-from-the-top-of-the-hill-and-you-can-see-what-lies-ahead. “The End”.

The story is good, and it kept my attention, but several times I was jarred from the text saying, “Really? You had to go and write that?” For example, “Let’s get this party started!” Groan. You can sog through it because there’s a cleaver crow, crows are very intelligent, and lots of action. Then comes the anticipated romance, along with several forehead slaps as you read the idiotic things Saba says. And then, oh and then, you’re left with the craziest ending of all. You’re thinking this is a good crazy, but don’t get your hopes up. Not that kind of crazy. Stop reading now if you don’t want to hear about the ending.

I don’t understand what possible reason there is for Jack to go and hunt down this briefly mentioned ‘Molly’ when Ike could have gotten off his lazy bum and done it himself, then to fuel a quasi-suspenseful ending. Seriously! The sequel-tension was already built up with DeMalo and his mysterious, and slightly threatening, message to Saba, to write Jack off (hehe). You know what’s coming, right? Oh, yes. Jack will get captured and then Saba will have to go after him. Come on! There’s so much more going for this book than going that route. Okay, I just need to calm down.

Let’s hope there’s something better tucked up Young’s sleeve than a cheap, been there done that plot for book two.

Would I recommend this book? Yeah, dystopian is very “in” right now.
Will I read the sequel? Undecided.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Red Road.