Michelle Book Briefs's Reviews > Underworld

Underworld by Meg Cabot

May 24, 12

bookshelves: favorites, kindle, own, review-on-blog
Read in May, 2012

It is no secret that Meg Cabot is my favorite author.( Have I started a previous review with this sentence? It feels like I have, and my apologies if that is the case) She has this way with words and characters and her books are all varied, but one thing is always constant- her sense of humor. I know that if I pick up one of her books, ANY one of her books, that I will enjoy myself and that I will get more than a few chuckles out of it. It doesn't matter if she is writing mythology, contemporary, or paranormal- her characters are always lovable, snarky(or witty, or sarcastic) and awesome. Pierce is no different. She is strong willed but she cares so much about others.

I really enjoyed Abandon. John is brooding and hot and I love his protective streak. I couldn’t wait for the sequel, Underworld to come out. Mythology has been my favorite YA sub-genre for a few months now, and the underworld has always held a certain fascination for me. In college I remember doing a comparative paper analyzing various cultures views on the underworld and it was some of the most fun I have ever had while researching a paper for school.

I liked Underworld even more than Abandon! The story felt a little more developed and I loved all the interactions between Pierce and John. And there were a lot of interactions. While they do need to work on their communication a little bit, you can tell that they are both trying. In that respect this was a very realistic relationship. (you know, minus the whole lord of the underworld thing going on.) And that bird that John gave Pierce- way too cute!

There are a few new characters that we got to know in Underworld and they are each kooky and interesting. Plus, what on earth is going on with Pierce's cousin? I am still a little baffled by his behavior. I have a feeling we will be finding more out about him in the final book.

Underworld is a brisk, super enjoyable read. Meg Cabot has her finger on the pulse of pop culture and all things teen. I can't wait to find out what is going to happen next for John and Pierce but I am super sad that it is going to be the last book in the trilogy. I feel like there is easily enough background and plot to make this into a longer series! (wink, wink, nudge nudge Ms. Cabot and Scholastic)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Underworld.