Alfredo's Reviews > The White Island

The White Island by Judith Reeves-Stevens

M_50x66
Aug 21, 11

Read on August 20, 2011

Having greatly enjoyed "Icefire" and "Quicksilver", I was very excited when I found this new entry from Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens. Unfortunately "Change" does not rise up to the level of their earlier works.

This is not a bad book. The premise is certainly intriguing, if already visited by many other authors. What made this book not as good as it could have been is the flatness of the characters, and the lack of resolution of some of the situations.

Just as the writing team of Preston and Child did recently with "Gideon's Sword", the main character is a young man with a death sentence hanging over him (don't worry about spoilers, this is revealed in the first page.)

In spite of this, it was hard for me to feel that he was in real danger and the distress that he mentions sometimes feels forced.

The "character" of "The Family" was also fuzzy. It was never certain what their purpose was other than to protect some sort of secret that to be honest, I never understood.

The rest of the characters are cartoonish and stereotypical. The ruthless millionaire, the evil ex-military, the noble federal agents, the evil Family members, etc.

This is a good summer read, but don't expect the pace stakes, and excitement of earlier Reeves-Stevens books.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The White Island.

08/20/2011 page 300