Mark Lawrence's Reviews > King of Thorns

King of Thorns by Mark  Lawrence

Jun 11, 14

(Review from the author)
Recommended for: people with legs (also those without)
I own a copy

[STOP PRESS] Prince of Fools now in shops! If you want to spend some more time in the Broken Empire ... pick it up!

King of Thorns was a gamble on the intelligence of my readers - I bet it was pretty high - I appear to have won.

A 'king'-related interview (with myself)

Wheel-Mouse! More from the Lawrence writing dynasty! (for charity)

73 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read King of Thorns.

Quotes Mark Liked

Mark  Lawrence
“There is something brittle in me that will break before it bends. Perhaps if the [the enemy] had brought a smaller army I might have had the sense to run. But he overdid it.”

Mark  Lawrence
“I’d be happier on a horse,” Makin said.
“I’d be happier on a giant mountain goat,” I said. “One that shat diamonds. Until we find some, we’re walking.”

Mark  Lawrence
“As a child there's a horror in discovering the limitations of the ones you love. The time you find that your mother cannot keep you safe, that your tutor makes a mistake, that the wrong path must be taken because the grown-ups lack the strength to take the right one...each of those moments is the theft of your childhood, each of them a blow that kills some part of the child you were, leaving another part of the man exposed, a new creature, tougher but tempered with bitterness and disappointment.”

Mark  Lawrence
“Is this going to be one of those times when you pretend not to have a plan until the last moment? And then turn out to really not have one?- Sir Makin to King Jorg”

Mark  Lawrence
“We die a little every day and by degrees we’re reborn into different men, older men in the same clothes, with the same scars.”

Mark  Lawrence
“The way I’d put it,” said Makin, “is that Rike can’t make an omelet without wading thigh deep in the blood of chickens and wearing their entrails as a necklace.”

Mark  Lawrence
“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

Mark  Lawrence
“Memory is all we are. Moments and feelings, captured in amber, strung on filaments of reason. Take a man’s memories and you take all of him. Chip away a memory at a time and you destroy him as surely as if you hammered nail after nail through his skull.”

Mark  Lawrence
“There is no sound more annoying than the chatter of a child, and none more sad than the silence they leave when they are gone.”

“A Dark time comes.
My time.
If it offends you.
Stop Me.”

Mark  Lawrence
“A fool may scrawl on a slate and if no one has the wit to wipe it clean for a thousand years, the scrawl becomes the wisdom of ages.”

message 1: by Hélène (new) - added it

Hélène I'm glad to know it's on the way.

Donald The wait for this is going to be excruciating.

Shannon I agree O_O

E luvs Dan, Qhuinn, Tate, Po, Rule & Lucas I agree with Mr. Cobb here; August 2012 is too far :(

message 5: by Jorge (new)

Jorge Diaz Just because of that... I don't read it...

message 6: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark Lawrence Jorge wrote: "Just because of that... I don't read it..."

You're not going to read it because it's not published yet?

message 7: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Mark wrote: "Jorge wrote: "Just because of that... I don't read it..."

I assumed it was a response to the initial joke. :P

That's not going to be in the book right?

Jorg- 'Well, he's certainly as dead as _I_ could kill him...'

Brothers- *awkward silence*

message 8: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark Lawrence Michelle wrote: "Mark wrote: "Jorge wrote: "Just because of that... I don't read it..."

I assumed it was a response to the initial joke. :P

That's not..."

I'm adding it into book 3 as you read this...

message 9: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Damn. I was trying to discourage you so that I could use it in my first novel attempt!

message 10: by Jorge (new)

Jorge Diaz Mark wrote: "Jorge wrote: "Just because of that... I don't read it..."

You're not going to read it because it's not published yet?"

No, it's only that, when I saw the book I thought: "What a beautiful cover!" And I read the description and was interesant, but than when I read the autor's rewiew... It just sounds... So pretentious xD Maybe it was only a joke, but in Internet is almost imposible to know if something is or not is a joke xP

message 11: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Haha! I'm pretty sure it was a joke although only Mark can tell you for sure. :P

But true, limited ability to convey tone via text alone can make things confusing. That's why I feel the need to constantly clarify when I'm joking. Often making things worse. :S

message 12: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark Lawrence hmmm... well it was framed in a jokey context ('recommended for people with legs and those without' - which is clearly a silly way of saying 'everyone') and that spirit continued into the main wording ('certainly as good as anything _I_ could write...' which is clearly (I hope) a silly way of saying 'I did my best')

But, in retrospect, you probably shouldn't read it if my writing skills managed to turn 'I did my best' into something pretentious. A better writer wouldn't have fallen into that trap and you deserve the best!

message 13: by Jorge (new)

Jorge Diaz Mark wrote: "hmmm... well it was framed in a jokey context ('recommended for people with legs and those without' - which is clearly a silly way of saying 'everyone') and that spirit continued into the main word..."

Misunderstandings are the most common thing in Internet. It was not the first and for sure will not be the last. But maybe now I'll read your book! =D

message 14: by Kass (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kass H Roll on August!

message 15: by Fred (last edited Apr 22, 2012 09:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fred Phillips Mark wrote: "Jorge wrote: "Just because of that... I don't read it..."
You're not going to read it because it's not published yet?"

I agree. I absolutely will not read this book until it's published. :)

(Unless, of course, I get an advance. Then I'll make an exception).

Christine (AR) Only I want it now.

message 17: by Didi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Didi yes, the wait is excrutiating, but if anything like the first book. well then it is more than worth it!

RuthAnn So excited for this!

message 19: by Mariano (new) - added it

Mariano Its out in the US before the UK?? :'(

message 20: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark Lawrence Mariano wrote: "Its out in the US before the UK?? :'("

Prince of Thorns was too!

message 21: by John (new) - added it

John Just pre-ordered it!

message 22: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark Lawrence good man!

message 23: by Vee (new) - added it

Vee EXCITED AS HELL TO GO HUNTING FOR THIS BOOK!! I SWEAR I AM GOING TO LOOK IN EVERY BOOKSTORE IN SYDNEY IF I HAVE TO!!!

message 24: by Vee (new) - added it

Vee YES!! I WENT AFTER SCHOOL TODAY AND FINALLY BOUGHT KING OF THORNS!! I HAVE BEEN SAVING MY LUNCH MONEY FOR THREE WKS!! AM READING IT AND IT IS EPIC!!

message 25: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark Lawrence good to hear! Many thanks for the sale, especially as it took such effort to gather the funds.

Kristine The covers make me feel proud reading your books. I guess I am one of a minority who judges a book by its cover, I will not hold or be seen reading a book with a disgusting , strange, cliche` and anything with a confused girls face on the front cover.

message 27: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark Lawrence I've read brilliant books between dull covers, but yes, Jason Chan has done a wonderful job with the Broken Empire trilogy and I stand in his debt.

Colin where do you stand on book vs e reader argument..my friends and family for living in the dark ages but I maintain that you can't beat the whole experience of reading an actual book..the feel of it in your hand..looking at how much you gave read etc..I have the kindle app on my phone and do use it to pass time when waiting about...but its not the same..LOL or am I just weird. lol...ps..read prince of thorns and starting king of thorns and have to say..you are gifted..sure know how to write an exciting book..thanks

message 29: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark Lawrence I've yet to read an e-book. I'm pretty sure I would miss the physical presence of a nicely bound and interestingly covered book in my hand and later on my shelf. This is my house (excuse the mess) http://princeofthorns.com/shelves.jpg

Cullum Hook If it wasn't for my kindle I might have never read PoT and KoT (which would have been a huge loss), I was travelling at the time and had finished my other books on the kindle, and it recommended PoT.
However, I did end up buying both books in 'the flesh' because they are so good they need to be seen sitting on my book shelf!

message 31: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark Lawrence well that's good to hear! Very many thanks, Cullum!

message 32: by Mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mark Basham This series is different. The story is great, the world is at the same times new and the same old world you've seen before. But! The eyes we see it through are new eyes. I'm still not sure what to make of him, his past speaks of horrible things but how he acts is honorable and respectable but always reminding us of what he's done... and what he's doing.

Really to tell you why this book is great is to the story of the book. The reason its not 5 stars is simply because the author tends to not have enough detail in some places and gets almost incoherent on what the hell is going on at times.

All in all this book presents what most would call an anti-hero in the vein of Elric but I would actually say is a pure villain. I do suggest you read this book and this series, it is something new.

Sarah Just finished it and reviewed! Thanks for the awesome, Mark!

message 34: by Mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mark Basham Sarah wrote: "Just finished it and reviewed! Thanks for the awesome, Mark!"

Thank you for making me reread all my typos... Cheers!

Sarah Mark wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Just finished it and reviewed! Thanks for the awesome, Mark!"

Thank you for making me reread all my typos... Cheers!"

My comment was actually for Mark Lawrence.. But what the hey, you're a Mark anyway. :)

message 36: by Mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mark Basham Sarah wrote: "Mark wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Just finished it and reviewed! Thanks for the awesome, Mark!"

Thank you for making me reread all my typos... Cheers!"

My comment was actually for Mark Lawrence.. But w..."

Blame goodreads and awesome names!

Sarah LOL. I blame GR for everything, Mark. :)

message 38: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark Lawrence Just updated my 'review' to include the Gemmell Award link! :)

Adele OK Voted... BTW very disappointed that not in a country that can win a signed book...
O well still think your books a FANTASTIC read.. waiting for August!!

message 40: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark Lawrence Adele wrote: "OK Voted... BTW very disappointed that not in a country that can win a signed book...
O well still think your books a FANTASTIC read.. waiting for August!!"

The giveaways are for all of the (many) countries on the options list... what country are you in?

message 41: by Mark (new) - added it

O well still think your books a FANTASTIC read.. waiting for August!!"

You're seriously not in one of the 207 countries the giveaways are listed for?

message 42: by Adele (last edited Jul 13, 2013 09:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Adele ZAR go figure =) Possibly also SA... entered anyhow

Amanda I'm still mad at you for Justice!!!! Lucky for you, I'm still reading ;) LOL

message 44: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark Lawrence 11 hours left to vote in the Gemmell Awards (3 clicks / no registration) http://www.gemmellaward.com/page/the-...

Adele Whats next ??...

message 47: by Deklan Hoff (new) - added it

Deklan Hoff im going to a bookstore and getting this book!!!