Jen's Reviews > The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi

Aug 20, 11

Read in August, 2011

This was an absolute favorite of mine in middle school, which is odd considering I never really liked the open sea. I like the idea of it, though, and I like the politics of a world unto itself as a ship is--I also liked, when I was a kid, the idea of completely bucking what girls or children or whatever category are "supposed" to be, of becoming what makes sense rather than what is proper.
Can you tell I was a tomboy in my youth?
For this book, though, Avi brilliantly works within first person narrative to show the struggle of having been taught a certain view of the universe and the difficulty of stepping outside of what you have always known. The characters are very well fleshed-out; even the supporting cast around the three or four main players have their own moments of brilliance. The appendices in the back with the list of nautical terms and the diagram of a ship is also pretty cool, because it really is its own language (as are all very involved professions). It's a good adventure yarn, it's a good coming-of-age story that doesn't involve any princes or knights in shining armor, and it's a fast read. Yep, still a fan of this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle.