Heather's Reviews > Cinderella, or the Little Glass Slipper

Cinderella, or the Little Glass Slipper by Charles Perrault

Sep 03, 11

liked it
bookshelves: awards-caldecott, children, classics, fairy-tales, picture-books
Read on September 03, 2011

1955 Caldecott Medal Winner

It looks like Marcia Brown used ink, chalk(?), and maybe color pencil to create these drawings.

The drawings in this story are similar to the ones in the original version of Many Moons, another Caldecott winner, and I'm not a big fan of the style. The ink suggests outlines and the colors sort of go all over the place. Some of the pictures are stunning, and others just look messy to me.

Gotta love Perrault's Cinderella, though. A classic fairy tale. I've got a copy of the unabridged Perrault's fairy tales in French with English translations, so I compared that text to this one. It was pretty much the same, except that rather than Brown's tame "Cinderseat" for the nickname one of the stepsisters used, the other translator thought that "Cinderass" was a better approximation. Not surprising that Brown chose "Seat" instead for her children's book.

I was surprised that the stepmother didn't play as large of a role in Perrault's story as the sisters did. I guess since I've seen various movie versions in which the stepmother was more prominent, I didn't realize that her original role was smaller. Her evilness is pretty much only mentioned in the beginning, then she is out of the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinderella, or the Little Glass Slipper.