Miss Starling's Reviews > Walking Across Egypt

Walking Across Egypt by Clyde Edgerton

Aug 31, 11

bookshelves: southern-literature, favorites
Read in July, 2006

Sweet Jesus, I'm gonna get all southern over this book! Its true. This book does it to me. The realtionship between an older woman taking in a juvenile deliquent is so funny, and heartwarming. She's really torn between her Christian duty and her enjoyment of solitude. I like how Edgerton reveals her feelings about her children and not having grandchildren. i really didn't like her kids and their prejudices against her charge. I detest rude people. It's refreshing to have a novel feature Chritian people but not show them as petty, annoying peope who get in your face and on your nerves. Mattie, the older woman, is an example as a woman who follows the bible and it very likable. I like that its a short book, but it has a few characters that can carry the novel on their own and make you care about their lives. Its Southern, so ic an relate to how they speak and their thoughts about the world. I think this read is worthy of five stars because of its love and redemption themes, matched well with the humorous scenes, too.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Walking Across Egypt.