Limonessa's Reviews > Hunting Lila

Sep 09, 11

bookshelves: ya-lit, fantasy
Read from September 04 to 05, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

This is what I can tell you about Hunting Lila:
don't go into it with too many profound, life-changing expectations. A dialogue concerning the two chief World systems it is not.
What you should expect is a lot of fun, in the form of a lot of action à la X-men, a good deal of mystery, a paranormal element, some forevah and evah love and a swoonworthy guy.

When somebody murdered her mother five years earlier under unclear circumstances, Lila and her father moved back to England, his home country, leaving behind Lila's brother, Jack, but most of all Jack's best friend, Lila's crush of all crushes, Alex.
Lila is now 17 and gifted with some "abilities" which she barely controls. After an attempted mugging risks to turn into tragedy, Lila finally loses it and takes the first plane back to California, to her brother Jack and Alex.
But from the frying pan, Lila jumps straight into the fire.
In a whirlwind of action, Alex, black ops, Alex, kidnappings, Alex, guys with "abilities" and... well, Alex, Lila will uncover the stunning truth about her mysterious gift and the secret behind her mother's death.

So... Alex.
As I was saying, I really liked this book, it's a lot of fun. But to say that this girl is plagued by raging teen hormones would be a serious understatement. By half book, I was kind of smiling benignly at Lila for spending 99.9% of her time, while in absurdly dangerous situations, lusting after Alex. They're trying to kill you girl, get a grip, for chrissake. He's hot, I agree, but she describes his eyes with stroboscopic effects.
Also, I thought Lila was very puerile to be 17. She really did not sound like a girl that age but much more immature. A tad whiny and with serious concentration issues.

Still, this is a book I'd recommend because you will find it hard to put down, fast-paced and funny. The perfect read to kick back on your couch after a long day of work and relax, for a few hours of thoughtless, unadulterated fun.

Will surely pick up the next book, I want to see how she keeps up the romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hunting Lila.

09/04/2011 page 92
29.0% "This girl's hormones are pet-sized. Nice action though, so far."
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nalnac (new) - added it

Nalnac non vedo l'ora di leggere la tua review! é una settimana che questo libro compare tra i miei feed e ne sono tutti entusiasti. mi fido di te bb ;)

Limonessa Ti anticipo che mi è piaciuto ovviamente, è leggero e veloce. Assolutamente non impegnativo ma divertente.

message 3: by Tatiana (new) - added it

Tatiana Oi! My excitement for this book just got decreased by at least 50%.

Flannery I agree that Lila seemed immature. I kept thinking throughout that I wish they'd just have sex and get it done because that's all she thought about. And I didn't understand why Alex would be attracted to her--she was/is kind of a pest.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) LMAO, what, no plot perplexities this time?! I love this review, it totally made me laugh out loud. I'll be reading this right after Pink.

Limonessa Flannery wrote: "I agree that Lila seemed immature. I kept thinking throughout that I wish they'd just have sex and get it done because that's all she thought about. And I didn't understand why Alex would be attrac..."

Also, I thought it would be acceptable if (view spoiler)

Flannery Exactly. I thought him saying that made it less authentic. (view spoiler)

Limonessa Tatiana wrote: "Oi! My excitement for this book just got decreased by at least 50%."

Tatiana, sorry. But if you know what NOT to expect, you might enjoy it anyway.

Limonessa Maja wrote: "LMAO, what, no plot perplexities this time?! I love this review, it totally made me laugh out loud. I'll be reading this right after Pink."

Well, I didn't even analyze the plot too much, the fast-pacedness kind of makes it blur. Still, it's fun!

message 10: by Tatiana (new) - added it

Tatiana Lisa, I doubt it. Your lurve story overview there convinced me I wouldn't enjoy it at all.

Laura LOL! :D As soon as I stop laughing, I will definitely pick this one up!

message 12: by Ann (new)

Ann Your review listed exactly the things I don't like about many of the recent YA PNR books so I don't think this'll work for me either. Especially because I didn't like the writing much and it didn't flow for me. :/

message 13: by Nalnac (new) - added it

Nalnac Ooookaayyy.. non è la review che mi aspettavo, ma continuo ad essere curiosa. Mi sa che Lila mi irriterà quanto Bella. Rimane il fatto che voglio leggerlo solo per 'sto Alex (di cui tuttE parlano ;) )?..ma poi alla fine lo 'fanno' o no?! (Si, effettivamente un dilemma esistenziale, che necessita una risposta affermativa altrimenti non ci perdo ne tempo, ne salute mentale. C'ho troppi problemi per farmi stressare pure da una teenager horny e immaginaria!)

Limonessa Macchè!!!
Senti leggiti Saving June e godi, che è meglio. A me è piaciuto molto.

message 15: by Nalnac (new) - added it

Nalnac LOL!
OK, vada per Saving June..
ho visto che ce l'hanno su netgallery (o come si chiama quel sito) , e mi ci vuole qualcosa di allegro e leggero in questo momento!

Nomes "But to say that this girl is plagued by raging teen hormones would be a serious understatement. " LOL

message 17: by Jo (new)

Jo una teenager horny e immaginaria

LOL. That made me laugh so much. Is there not a phrase for 'randypants teenager' in Italian?

Great review, Lisa :-D

message 18: by Nalnac (new) - added it

Nalnac Lol Jo!
I don't think we have a word for that in Italian..or maybe we do, but nothing comes to mind. ( i do know 'manwhore' is 'puttaniere'. Don't ask me why I am thinking of that right now, i have no idea O_o)
Lisa should know, both her English and Italian are waaay better than mine ;)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) This Alex guy is so hot! I will now go make myself a flat Alex. See if I don't.

Limonessa He is! Do you think your Flat Alex and my Flat Barrons will get along?

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) It's best that they don't. They can get into a fight, preferably wearing next to nothing, and we'll stand by and watch. *evil laugh*

Giselle Haha. Forevah and evah and evah!

message 23: by Jen (new) - rated it 1 star

Jen I couldn't even decide whether I liked Alex or not (or the plot, or any other characters...) because I was so disturbed by Lila's obsession for him. I couldn't get past the beginning pages when Lila nearly kills a man and then says, "I was in so much trouble. So I did what I always did in times of stress, I unpacked every Alex memory from where I’d filed them in the most accessible part of my brain and started to slot them together like puzzle pieces."
...Can someone please explain why people say this romance is "cute"?

Limonessa I have the three neurons theory: that is the exact amount I need to use (and I want to) for some stories. This is one of those stories, I am afraid Jen. I was bothered too by Lila's obsession with Alex but, end in end, I had fun with this book. I understand your one star rating because if you didn't have fun, there's no point to the book.

message 25: by Jen (new) - rated it 1 star

Jen I was looking forward to reading this book because the blurb indicated that it had an exciting plot, but I couldn't help but feel that the romance took precedence over the storyline, and since I got a more of a "stalker vibe" than a "love vibe" from Lila, you're right... I just couldn't get to the actual fun part of the story.