Randy's Reviews > Audubon Birds of America

Audubon Birds of America by John James Audubon

Aug 20, 11

bookshelves: enviro, essays, geographical-bio, history-kinda-sorta, re-read-it
Read in August, 2011

Most all of the North American birds are here...some people believe that true American art began with Audubon?! What a treat it must have been to see the now extinct Carolina parakeet and the most likely extinct Ivory-billed Woodpecker, which recently involved a massive manhunt here in Arkansas and generated mucho spin. I'm honestly glad they didn't find any. If they did, they're not telling anyone!

The highly endangered Whooping Cranes and Trumpeter Swans are here in dizzying glory and I'm SO proud to have added both of these wonderful species to my sighting list during the last two winters here in Arkansas...the Trumpeters here in the Ozarks and the Whoopers at my parents down on the Grand Prairie...hell yeah!

This Crown publishers edition is full cloth with a pelican stamped into the material.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Audubon Birds of America.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jayme (new)

Jayme So is this a book of essays by Audubon or about Audubon?

message 2: by Janice (new)

Janice A few years ago I went for a walk out at the Nature Center here in Springfield, and came upon a wonderful sight: the Whooping Cranes had stopped off at Springfield Lake on their migratory path (it was spring, so guess they were going north). A man standing watching them told me they are here every spring, and that he always goes out to watch them.
I watched for a long time, and although I have tried to go back several times around that same time of year, still haven't seen them again.
The last two winters we have seen The Trumpeter Swans in Boxley Valley. I am going to look for that book, thanks for the review.

Randy Jayme wrote: "So is this a book of essays by Audubon or about Audubon?"

Not really essays, Jayme but short descriptions of the birds...?

message 4: by Jayme (new)

Jayme Okay, so it's your standar, really pretty, Audubon book. Thanks, Randy!