Erika's Reviews > To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Apr 11, 12

bookshelves: 50-books-before-die, classics, solo-books-read, watched-movie, favorite-male-character
Read from March 30 to April 09, 2012

I saw a list of some classic books that someone created saying which books everyone must read before dying. And i was am a bit ashamed to realize that i actually haven't read most of them. This is partly because these books are usually required to read when you are in high school in the US, and since i didn't study in the US, well... Anyway, i think it's never too late to start reading these books, so I decided to start with the book that is probably the most famous, and most read out there, To Kill a Mockingbird.

This was a really good book that shows us the importance of not prejudicing people just by what you think of them or by looks, without knowing them. This is very important because most of the times you see someone, and you may start making things up in your head, and start criticizing them, hating them, or being afraid of them. You may start thinking how someone is strange, but you don't really know what's going on with that person, so everything you think is idle. It's important to stop, and realize it's a person as well.

Atticus is the father of 2 kids, Jean Louise aka Scout and Jem. He is a very interesting character and very unique, he is someone who always wants to do what it's right. And he tries to teach his children with his actions to always act this way. In occasions, he even told them that he was doing certain things because if he didn't then he couldn't tell them anymore not to misbehave or do wrong things.

This book goes into the subject of racism. It shows us how the people in the book see the colored people like inferior creatures and don't stop to think that they are people too. In some part of the story there's a lady who is saying how what Hitler did was horrible, treating the Jews like that, that it was so wrong, but then again she was at home and was treating all the colored people the same way practically.

I watched the movie the same day i finished the book, and was so good, i really liked it. The scene with Tom Robinson was really heartbreaking, not that it wasn't in the book, but in the movie it all came to life and felt more real.

I totally can see why this book became a classic, why it is now regarded as a masterpiece of American literature.

Quotes Erika Liked

Harper Lee
“I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.
- Atticus Finch”

Harper Lee
“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.”

Harper Lee
“As you grow older, you'll see white men cheat black men every day of your life, but let me tell you something and don't you forget it - whenever a white man does that to a black man, no matter who he is, how rich he is, or how fine a family he comes from, he is trash.”

Harper Lee
“With him, life was routine; without him, life was unbearable.”
tags: love

04/05/2012 page 115
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim One of my favorites! The movie is great too. :)

Erika It was really good! I watched the movie the same day i finished the book, what a great adaptation! Atticus was perfect, just like i imagined him :)

message 3: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim That's great! Gregory Peck was one of the great actors of that era, and a lot of movie lovers think Atticus was his finest performance. So glad you loved both! :)

Rich I prefer the book than the movie, thought!!
What next for you to read on that list? :-)

Rich Animal Farm is brilliant! One of the rare books that left me in awe and made me think when I finished reading the book right at the end!

Erika I think I'm going to read Pride And Prejudice or The Picture of Dorian Grey next on the list. Animal Farm is also on my list, I'm gonna read it at some point, it's good to know you liked it that much!

Wendy Darling This is one of my faves. :) Glad you liked it!

Erika Thank you, Wendy :)

message 9: by Raida (new)

Raida Omar what the hell is your problem!you and your dying situation like god eventually everyone will die dont be thinking that you'll live forever hoe!!!