Jo's Reviews > Under the Mesquite

Under the Mesquite by Guadalupe Garcia McCall

Aug 22, 11

bookshelves: good-grief, gorgeous-prose, just-been-cutting-onions, ya, for-review, e, own
Read from August 20 to 21, 2011

"Someday my words will
take flight and claim the sky."

This is such beautiful little book.
Little.
That is why this review is not going to be like my others because it would take you less time to just read this book than it would be to read my full review.
So this is the Theatrical Cut.
I could go on and on about how gorgeous Ms Garcia McCall’s writing is and how she seamlessly flits between Spanish and English words and explores two completely different cultures and the issues that come with being uprooted and how perfectly she captures and portrays the emotions that come hand-in-hand with illness in a close, loving family and pain and sadness and hope and about growing up and letting go and looking to the future without forgetting the past and the journey you must go on and maternal love and…. and…. and…..

You know what? Just read it and I promise you won’t be disappointed.

I received a copy of this from the publishers.

You can read this review and lots of other exciting things on my blog here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Mesquite.

08/20/2011
20.0% "Six sisters with flashing eyes as bright as starry nights. We shared chewed bubble gum but we fought over M&Ms."
08/21/2011
70.0% ":'("
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Regina Jo, thank you so much for your review. If it weren't for your review I would not have known about this book. It has to be one of my favorites for this year.

message 2: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Thanks Regina! I'm so glad you loved this one :)
It's beautiful, isn't it?
I wish more people had read it though :)

Regina Hopefully we can get the word out. :)

message 4: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Thanks, Jo! I love GR! Ya know. My New Year’s Resolution is to try to do things that terrify me. Verse books always have—so a friend recommended Lisa Schroeder, but I have been gathering recom.s ever since. Trying to decide which one to read next. This is a new one. Love it! Can’t have too many books in the pile! I am really looking forward to reading more from this genre! :) That was a wicked long way of saying—thanks again! :D

message 5: by Sonia (new) - added it

Sonia Love that quote! I have a glimpse in how beautiful it is in Catie's review. After reading yours, I'm sure it would be gorgeous! ;-)