Carey's Reviews > Spoiled

Spoiled by Heather Cocks

1960841
Aug 20, 2011

Spoiled might be cotton candy fluff, but I LOVE cotton candy! It's one of the best reasons to go to the fair, right? (Other reason being boys, roller coasters, to hang with your friends, all the awesome junk food, and, if you're lucky, lots of animals too.)

Molly is a midwestern girl who finds out, through her mother's dying confession, that her father is one of the most famous male actors in the world, Brick Berlin. Brooke Berlin is Brick's spoiled, blonde, ambitious daughter who loves shopping and hates coming home to her huge, silent house. Molly has to leave behind her childhood sweetheart, best friend, and everything she's ever known, and Brooke has to make room for a new sister when she doesn't get enough attention herself from her busy, famous, Crackberry addict father.

Brooke and Molly's different perspectives, needs and mistakes create sibling warfare that might be a little tiny bit predictable, and sometimes cliche if I have to be honest about it, but it still made a great read.

I felt Molly and Brooke were both real, loving, hurt, and genuinely good, if flawed, characters I enjoyed. Their conflict came about because of their circumstances and feelings regarding those circumstances that they based their actions on, but not because either was an irredeemable person. You end up being able to sympathize with and like both.

If you grew up loving Sweet Valley High and other YA literature, this is definitely fun reading, and better than most in it's genre. Brick is a wonderful character, as is Max and Teddy. I'm now cheering for Max to snag Jake, and I definitely think Arugula should get a lot more airtime. I loved her SAT inspired sentences. Hell, I hope for more of them all!

I wouldn't look to this book for heavy, symbolic reading, but the language in it is far superior to most YA (used some of my favorite SAT words in both the text and through Arugula). Spoiled is the perfect summer beach fare, and I definitely am looking forward to a sequel.

Thanks Fug Girls! Love, a devoted member of Fug Nation.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spoiled.

03/29 marked as: read

message 1: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah Is this an inappropriate book?