JanBreesmom's Reviews > Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

Aug 19, 2011

bookshelves: international-fiction, won, china
Read from December 11 to 13, 2011

I have just finished reading Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, a novel by Lisa See. I was very fortunate to receive this book as a First Reads Book Giveaway from Goodreads.com. As a bonus, I also received a DVD of the film which was adapted from the book.

This is a book about lifelong friendship between two girls, as they grow up in nineteenth century China in the Hunan province. It follows them through their lives. The story of these woman is alternated with the modern day story of two other young woman who were lifelong friends, too. The women's lives run parallel to each other, even as they lived a couple of hundred years apart.

I have long had a fondness for reading about Asia, it's history and the people who live there. I had the opportunity of visiting Hong Kong and the former Canton, China several years ago and it made quite an impression on me.

I have enjoyed reading other books by Lisa See. She is a fine story-teller. Her books make you feel for her characters and make faraway places seem real and familiar.

I recommend this book to all who are interested in reading about friendship, historical fiction regarding China, and to all that enjoy reading a good story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan.

12/11/2011 page 69