Rob's Reviews > Nausea

Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre

Dec 01, 14

bookshelves: 2014, epistolary
Read from November 24 to 27, 2014

Existentialist novels always seem a little self-indulgent and navel-gazing. Granted, these are still questions worth exploring, and at least Sartre does so deftly. There's a quote near the end there: "they have washed themselves of the sin of existing." And that seems to be the crux of this meandering journal that seems to ask every form of the question: "What is it to exist? What justifies that existence?" (Thus the knee-jerk response: "So self-indulgent!") But as this question seems to underlie much of the world's suffering, this at least does artful combat with that conflict.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nausea.

11/24 marked as: currently-reading
11/26 page 14
7.0% "So far it almost reads like… something Borges would have written. Constructed as a lost diary of a historian-cum-novelist (or vice versa?) and/but what is the diary? and what are the notes? and what is true vs. not? (And does that make it a form of roman-a-clef?)" 1 comment
11/26 page 38
21.0% "Commingling that which is knowledge vs. that which is experience; that known in strictly abstract ways vs. strictly sensory. The ethereal and the mechanical. Memory vs. visions of the future vs. the fully realized sensation of the now."
11/26 page 40
22.0% "«But the end is there, transforming everything. For us, the man is already the hero of the story. His moroseness, his money troubles are much more precious than ours, they are all gilded by the light of future passions.»"
11/26 page 56
31.0% "«I liked this shop very much, it has a cynical and obstinate look, it insolently recalled the rights of dirt and vermin, only two paces from the most costly church in France.»"
11/26 page 81
45.0% "«…and I tried to reduce them to their everyday aspect by the power of my gaze.»"
11/26 page 103
57.0% "A Cartesian reversal, or Cartesian paradox: «I exist because I think … and I can't stop myself from thinking. At this very moment–it's frightful–if I exist, it is because I am horrified at existing.» All this in the midst of some anguishing over whether *permission* to exist makes the existing any easier? (And/but/so where does that permission come from?)"
11/26 page 154
86.0% "Johnny Truant was high on Nausea throughout all of HoL. That is all."
11/27 marked as: read