Holly's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Read more of my reviews at BookGasmic.

5 ++++++ Stars

Having finished reading this a few days ago, i have been struggling ever since to try and put into words how much I enjoyed this book.

The Night Circus is a magical experience from start to finish.

The circus appears without warning.

Probably one of the best opening lines i have read in recent memory. it succeeds in grabbing you from the first lines, and I found myself staying up all night because i literally could not force myself to put this book down.

Le Cirque des Reves...The Circus Of Dreams, is a fitting name for the other-worldly attraction that captures the hearts and minds of so many people. At the heart of the circus are Celia and Marco...two illusionists trained from an early age by two very different but equally powerful magicians... pitted against each other in a mysterious competition that spans nearly 30 years. The way this secret competition ends up encompassing Celia and Marco's lives....and the lives of everyone associated with the Circus (both directly and behind the scenes) is the true heart of this beautiful story. Every aspect of the storytelling works on every level. From the characters, to the atmosphere, to the budding romance, and the sense of dread that falls over everyone as things begin to spiral out of control.

Every second I spent reading this book was a joy, and i look forward not only to reading this book again, but to devouring anything else Erin Morgenstern releases in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

Quotes Holly Liked

Erin Morgenstern
“The finest of pleasures are always the unexpected ones.”

Erin Morgenstern
“The Burgess sisters arrived together. Tara and Lainie do a little bit of everything. Sometimes dancers, sometimes actresses. Once they were librarians, but that is a subject they will only discuss if heavily intoxicated.”

Erin Morgenstern
“You may tell a tale that takes up residence in someone's soul, becomes their blood and self and purpose. That tale will move them and drive them and who knows that they might do because of it, because of your words. That is your role, your gift.”

Erin Morgenstern
“Marco moves to close the distance between them, kissing away her tears before catching her lip with his own.
As he kisses her, the bonfire glows brighter. The acrobats catch the light perfectly as they spin. The entire circus sparkles, dazzling every patron.”

Erin Morgenstern
“Nothing's impossible," Poppet responds. She smiles at him and jumps, her red hair trailing out behind her as she falls.”

Erin Morgenstern
“He goes directly to the ballroom, making his way to the center of the dance floor. He takes Celia’s arm, spinning her away from Herr Thiessen.
Marco pulls her to him in an emerald embrace, so close that no one distinction remains between where his suite ends and her gown begins. To Celia there is suddenly no one else in the room as he holds her in his arms. But before she can vocalize her surprise, his lips close over hers and she is lost in wordless bliss.
Marco kisses her as though they are the only two people in the world. The air swirls in a tempest around them, blowing open the glass doors to the garden with a tangle of billowing curtains. Every eye in the ballroom turns in their direction. And then he releases her and walks away. By the time Marco leaves the room, almost everyone has forgotten the incident entirely. It is replaced by a momentary confusion that is blamed on the heat or the excessive amounts of champagne. Herr Thiessen cannot recall why Celia has suddenly stopped dancing, or when her gown has shifted to its current deep green. “Is something wrong?” he asks, when he realizes that she is trembling.”

Erin Morgenstern
“I am tired of trying to hold things together that cannot be held. Trying to control what cannot be controlled. I am tired of denying myself what I want for fear of breaking things I cannot fix. They will break no matter what we do.”

Erin Morgenstern
“Like stepping into a fairy tale under a curtain of stars.”

Erin Morgenstern
“I couldn't tell the difference between what was real and what I wanted to be real.”

Erin Morgenstern
“I am tired of trying to hold things together that cannot be held.”

Erin Morgenstern
“You need to understand your limitations so you can overcome them.”

09/12/2011
09/13/2011
12.0% "Truly magical. It's definitely living up to the hype so far."
09/13/2011
22.0% "In many ways this is reminding me of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrel. And considering that is one of my all time favorite books, that is definitely a GOOD thing. :)"
09/15/2011
76.0% 2 comments
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Holly So excited to start this one tomorrow. :D

Wendy Darling I'm really curious about this one as well...look forward to your review! :)

Holly Will definitely let you know what I think. :)