Christy's Reviews > The Doctor's Lady

The Doctor's Lady by Jody Hedlund

Sep 09, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Read on September 09, 2011

As a rule, I'm not overly fond of wagon train stories, but I could not read this one fast enough! It's not often that I have an opportunity to practically fly through a book as good as this one, but in 24 hours time, I read this book every moment I could spare. Thankfully, my husband was very understanding as we went through an evening with me cooking no dinner, folding no laundry, and watching no tv. And yes...he survived. ;o)

Jody Hedlund has created a masterpiece in The Doctor's Lady. She had me smiling at the teasing nature of Priscilla and Eli's early relationship, and conversely, she had me in tears during a moment that no mother every wants to experience. If that wasn't enough, she created romantic tension so thick, I could cut it with a knife.

And this was not your typical marriage of convenience story, either. Priscilla and Eli's marriage was quickly thrust into the dangers of what would become the Oregon Trail as they dealt with rapid rivers, dishonest guides, and fatal diseases. Not only did they butt heads occasionally with their traveling companions, they also struggled to share their true thoughts with one another which created unnecessary, yet believable, emotional turmoil.

For those who are fans of Laura Frantz or Deeanne Gist, I guarantee The Doctor's Lady is a story that you will love in its entirety. As I said before, wagon train stories are not my thing as there are usually several portions that lag and I find my attention drifting. That is definitely not the case with this one! The action is continuous, the hardships believable, and the romance new and exciting. I have already carved out a place on my keeper shelf for this gem of a novel, and you better believe that it's there to stay. :o)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Doctor's Lady.

09/09/2011 page 34
09/09/2011 page 96
25.0% "Looks like my weekend will be spent reading when there are so many other things that need to be done...AGH!!! This book is G-O-O-D!" 3 comments
09/09/2011 page 251
65.0% "I've hardly been able to put it down!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Katie Ohhh! I can't wait to read it!

Cathy This sounds so good, can't wait to read it!

Christy It's wonderful, ladies! Jody will be on my blog Monday giving away a copy, so I hope you'll stop by. :o)

message 4: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth I'm just hearing so many good things about this novel! I guess I better read it, darn! ;) Haha! Looking forward to the Meet and Greet--I'll be reading the post & entering that giveaway for sure.