Doreen's Reviews > After the Falls: Coming of Age in the Sixties

After the Falls by Catherine Gildiner

Aug 22, 11

bookshelves: elle
Read from August 19 to 22, 2011

What a lovely, harrowing book. I would have given it 5 stars if the narrative hadn't seemed to taper off at the end, as if it became too painful for the author to discuss her reactions any more. In the afterword, Ms Gildiner tells us that her original manuscript was twice as long and required serious cutting, but I think I would have gladly read more. It would be nice to hear more of what happened to Fran and Baby, and of Gildiner's reaction to Oxford. And the whole deal with Tommy seems rushed. But the chapters on Veronica, the Dunk and Gildiner's mother's relationship with President Kennedy will linger. An excellent memoir of a remarkable individual growing up in the 60s.

I received this book gratis as part of ELLE Magazine's ELLE Lettres' Juror's Prize program.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After the Falls.

08/19/2011 page 21
6.0% ""Memory is not a recording device; it is the brain's way of allowing us to select moments in order to interpret our pasts.""
08/21/2011 page 256
70.0% ""What would women do without friends? I guess they would just buy their own straitjacket, wrap themselves up and wait for the ambulance.""