Pamela's Reviews > The Crow Road

The Crow Road by Iain Banks

Aug 23, 11

Read in August, 2011

Beware reviews that declare the author is a "phenomenon" (William Gibson), or is an "enfant explosif" (Scotland on Sunday), or "the most imaginative novelist of his generation" (The Times). Or perhaps you just have to beware my reviews.

I doggedly stuck with this novel to the end. Perhaps because I paid full price for it (based on the above plaudits) and thought it might be worth it? Ho hum. Not very believable depiction of two generations of a not very interesting extended family and friends. But, there was one detail I liked. After making unbelievable leaps of logic in deciphering extremely cryptic clues regarding his uncle's disappearance, the protagonist fails to decipher the screamingly obvious clue that seals the deal (so to speak). Or does he? I liked the way the author left this open suggesting that things we get so obsessive about that they take over our lives, and sometimes lead us into near ruin, can also be easily tossed to the wind as if they no longer mattered because some other more interesting pursuit has presented itself.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crow Road.