Karla's Reviews > Rules of Civility

Rules of Civility by Amor Towles

Jan 17, 12

bookshelves: 2012, new-york
Read from January 08 to 15, 2012

Every woman has a story of how they loved, lost and grew into the woman they are. This reads like a personal journey into an extraordinarily unbending and intelligent woman named Katy. I enjoyed reading how her life became what it is by so many influences of people, books and places she encountered in a short period of her life as she found herself. This is the perfect reflecting novel that shows how everything imprints and shapes our heart and minds with a heroine that blazes her way in 1930's New York's upper class social scene, yet never forgets who she is and where she came from. Told with wonderful historical accuracy, wit and strong characters. Just immerse yourself and enjoy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rules of Civility.

Quotes Karla Liked

Amor Towles
“In our twenties, when there is still so much time ahead of us, time that seems ample for a hundred indecisions, for a hundred visions and revisions—we draw a card, and we must decide right then and there whether to keep that card and discard the next, or discard the first card and keep the second. And before we know it, the deck has been played out and the decisions we have just made will shape our lives for decades to come.”
Amor Towles, Rules of Civility

Amor Towles
“It is a lovely oddity of human nature that a person is more inclined to interrupt two people in conversation than one person alone with a book.”
Amor Towles, Rules of Civility

01/08/2012 page 78
23.0% "At Chapter 6"
01/09/2012 page 96
29.0% "Chapter 8, I'm just melting into this book!"
01/10/2012 page 149
44.0% "Chapter 12 wish I could be home reading this all day, great to read along with a strong main character who is well grounded, takes risks and has poise."