Kerri Turner's Reviews > The Last Unicorn

The Last Unicorn by Peter Gillis

Nov 06, 11

bookshelves: favourites, classics, fantasy, made-into-a-movie
Read from October 29 to November 03, 2011

Despite the fact that I watched the animated movie version of The Last Unicorn obsessively as a kid, I didn't realise until recently that it was actually based on a book (shame on me!). As soon as I did find out, I had to get it and read it - after all, most because are better than the movie version, and if I loved the movie the potential for this book to be great seemed pretty much a sure thing!

I'm so glad I did read the book. It is actually almost exactly how I remember the movie (except for a few extra parts that the movie didn't include), which meant that I got the storyline I remembered and loved so well. What I hadn't realised I would also get was a beautifully written, poignant use of language that elevated it all to an entirely new level.

Peter S. Beagle appears to have a skill that not many other authors do (in my opinion); namely, that he can use language and descriptions that are so surprising and beautiful that they immediately give you an exact picture in your mind, without veering off into overly heavy, mundane writing. It was such a treat to have a book that was easy to read, yet still full of sentences that jumped out and made you go 'wow'.

I particularly love the subject matters it deals with: love, finding yourself, the choice between doing what is right or want you want... It touches on all of these in more than one way, showing (in a fantastical, fairy tale way) the consequences of our decisions and how far-reaching they can be. I felt the book really had a message that we can all take with us - and the best part is, it left you to learn the message on your own instead of forcing it upon you.

A beautifully written book with a storyline so touching that it will stay with you for a long time afterwards.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Unicorn.