Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > Brideshead Revisited

Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh

Sep 21, 14

bookshelves: league-extraordinary-dorks, location-england, read2011, modern-library-100-best-novels, banned-books
Recommended to Jenny (Reading Envy) by: Bill H
Read from November 06 to 12, 2011

An interesting portrayal of college-aged students in the period between the two world wars, trying to find their way in an England that has a lot of apathy and little connection. There is some commentary on sexuality that seems before its time as well.

I've heard Waugh's other books have some humor, and I'd try one.

“When people hate with all that energy, it is something in themselves they are hating.”

“As my intimacy with his family grew I became part of the world which he sought to escape; I became part of the bonds which held him.”

“There’s nothing wrong in being a physical wreck, you know. There’s no moral obligation to be Postmaster-General or Master of Foxhounds or to live to walk ten miles at eighty.”

“The trouble with modern education is you never know how ignorant people are... These young people have such an intelligent, knowledgeable surface, and then the crust suddenly breaks and you look down into depths of confusion you didn’t know existed.”

5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brideshead Revisited.

11/07/2011 page 104

message 1: by Asma Fedosia (new)

Asma Fedosia This looks like an interesting book, Jenny. I'll have to read it someday. Your review of it is nice, as well.

Rob Secundus If you liked it enough to try another of his, definitely go for it. This is widely considered now one of it not the worst book he ever wrote, even though it's still the most popular. His other books are quick, biting, dark satires, devoid of the ponderous purple prose you find here. I think it's best to start at the beginning with Decline and Fall, but Handful of Dust is his most well-regarded, and Vile Bodies the favorite of Stephen Fry and David Bowie, so that counts for something.

message 3: by Alan (new)

Alan Chen if you have the time or inclination the bbc series of the book from the 80s is very good. jeremy irons is in it.

Jenny (Reading Envy) Alan wrote: "if you have the time or inclination the bbc series of the book from the 80s is very good. jeremy irons is in it."
Yes, I saw it!

Rob Secundus wrote: "If you liked it enough to try another of his, definitely go for it. This is widely considered now one of it not the worst book he ever wrote, even though it's still the most popular. His other book..."
Thanks Rob. I actually believe I have Handful of Dust at home!

Naomi Young I remember my mother saying to me years ago, "...your generation didn't *invent* homosexuals, you know." Important to remember these things. :)

message 6: by Vesper (new)

Vesper "The trouble with modern education is you never know how ignorant people are... These young people have such an intelligent, knowledgeable surface, and then the crust suddenly breaks and you look down into depths of confusion you didn’t know existed.” - really great quote -
This is pretty much how I feel looking back on my BA education and fellow graduates.