Andrea's Reviews > Shut Out

Shut Out by Kody Keplinger

Aug 22, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, read-in-2011
Read from August 19 to 22, 2011

First, the good: frank talk about teenage girls' sexual lives, exploration of double standards, inspiration from a classic (I'm a sucker for modern re-tellings).

The bad? It took me a long while to feel as if I could relate to the protagonist at all. It seemed like her only personality trait for a good portion of the book was having a boyfriend. Finally, we find out she's also a control freak who works in a library (just like me! ha!)

But seriously, the fact that every single girl in this book (with the exception of the "slut") has an athlete boyfriend really bugged me. They talk about the question of what is normal for a teenage girl in terms of sex. There's the girl who does it with her boyfriend, the girl who does "everything but" with her boyfriend, the girl who is waiting to do it with her boyfriend, and the girl who does it with lots of guys but doesn't tie herself down to one boyfriend. What about the plain ol' girl who has no guy (or guys) in her sex life? If I'd read this when I was a teenager, I'd tell all these chicks to shut up and stop complaining. At least you have boyfriends! The grownup me realizes that half of their boyfriends are total dicks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shut Out.