JulesQ's Reviews > The Necromancer

Aug 19, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2011
Read in August, 2011

I read the previous two books too close to this one to remember what was in what book, so I'm cheating again and writing a review of the series rather than this particular installment.

Overall this series is quite good. Scott is perhaps not the most skillful of writers, but he's good enough. A couple of notes. Lately it seems like the message du jour in literature, especially the YA genre is that no one is all good or all bad. Which is true. And Scott manages to get us to believe that the characters are struggling with this "who are the good guys" questions without forcing the reader to have the same question -- it is always obvious in the book who are the good guys and who are the bad guys, past activities notwithstanding. So... that's that. It may be intentional, it may not, but the conflict of do the means justify the ends never becomes a real question for the reader.

Also, Scott randomly gets preachy on the religion of climate change. So there's that too.

But, my 15 year old brother has loved the series so far, and I've not found anything that gives me great concern about the messaging he's receiving, so there's that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Necromancer.