Aubrey's Reviews > The Glass Castle

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

Aug 21, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction
Recommended for: For anyone with an open mind and willing to be moved.
Read from August 19 to 21, 2011

This review and others can be found on my blog: http://towerofthegods.com/bazinga/

WOW! I mean, isn't that enough to say?! I'm a bit bias because I'm a sucker for really fascinating memoirs, and this was one!

The story of the Walls, including Jeannette, is endearing, heartbreaking, truly enlightening, concerning, and encouraging all at the same time. I mean for a family that lived in very poor conditions, they really had many MANY lessons to teach the world. Sure, they were not perfect, as there is no such thing, but they show the reader that there are many ways to raise children and live life. There are also many views.

There were parts where I hated, or more so was frustrated with, Jeannette's parents and moments where their actions almost made me cry, in a good way. A reader that walks away with nothing from this book, in my opinion, was not invested in the first place.

The adventures that they went on were never ending. I would read parts and think, they did not really just do that?! The fact that they were poor really showed how it forced people to get creative and think outside the box, and her mom and dad certainly thought outside the box- and I quite agreed with them on a lot of things. Even poor, and Jeannette's father an alcoholic, did not stop them from raising bright kids (and being educated themselves), and teaching the world many lessons through Jeannette's writing.

Add to the fact that her writing is very powerful because she has a strong ability to recall memories, which goes to show how much they meant to her- good or bad. It was difficult to stop reading this book. Sometimes you know a book is good when you want more. It made me continue searching beyond it, reading about Jeannette and the Walls, and watching videos.

It is probably one of my favorite memoirs and, in my opinion, deserves the recognition that it has received.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Glass Castle.