Zeek's Reviews > The Smoke Thief

The Smoke Thief by Shana Abe

Sep 07, 2011

bookshelves: alpha-hero, chick-fantasy, fantasy-rom, favorite-heroine, hist-rom, hist-pnr, romance, shifters, kindle
Read from August 19 to 28, 2011

Very well done! Shana Abe opens her world with a myth about dragons and brings it into the Georgian period. The story revolves around the alpha of the dragon shifting pack known as the Drakon and the woman who would become his mate.

It starts off with them as children. Clarissa is an intense, shy child born of a lower class mother. She is picked on by the supposed alpha female and her pack of meangirls until the day of her eighteenth birthday when she fakes her death and escapes the land of her ancestors for the anonymity of London England.

When it comes to the attention of the Drakon council that one of their own is on the loose and using their shifting powers to steal from the rich, they are shocked. Not so much by the thievery but moreso for the fact that a Drakon has escaped their level eye. Fewer and fewer Drakons are making the transition to shifter and everyone is accounted for- accept for this one. So they send their alpha to bring the rogue shifter home.

When Christoff, Earl and alpha of the Drakons, susses out the even more shocking news- that the defiant shifter is female- he's determined to bring her in and will stop at nothing to get her by his side- now more than ever, it's personal- for this headstrong girl is meant to be his bride.

A historical romance novel,(yes there is sex in this book!), but with a paranormal/fantasy romance heavy hand- I of course couldnt resist it. Cristoff pretty much wants Clarissa from the very beginning altho it took her growing up to finally realize that- and the heroine of course always loved him. What she couldnt handle however, was the pack that comes along with him- which of course sets up the major conflict in the story. It takes them working together to catch another thief to work it all out.

Fantastic heroine and I love the dragon shifter theme, so yes I do recommend The Smoke Thief for those who like shifters and magic mixed with their romance. I've read so many mixed reviews on the sequels I'm a little wary about moving on to the next but I will try it for sure!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Smoke Thief.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I loved this book. I can't wait to see what you think.

Zeek really liking it thus far!

message 3: by Marg (new)

Marg I've had this book sitting on the shelf for years!

message 4: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully Great review Zeek!

Zeek thanks! :)

message 6: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Great review, Zeek. I loved this book.

message 7: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine Great review, Zeek. I'm glad you enjoyed the book. It was a good one.