Natalien's Reviews > 1984

2200870
Feb 12, 12

bookshelves: depressing, dystopia, sociology, 501
Read from February 09 to 12, 2012

Politics – blurgh!… I can’t stand them because they’re all lies; there isn’t a system where everyone can be happy. Nineteen eighteen four: Very depressing but worth to read even if only for the Goldstein book which is mind-blowing for its truth in plain terms. I know those times from listening to my grandparents – I’m Polish. Why some call it speculative or sci-fi I have no idea, cause the events in the book are only slightly exaggarated - those things happened for real in Soviet Union and Eastern Block: Stalin Monuments on every square that you couldn't look at them with 'bad look', you couldn't trust your friends for fear of being interrogated, shortages of food and toilet paper, chocolate and vodka were a currency, black market and underground movements. Because of this I do not sympathise with any members of The Party, they were part of that sick-sociocommunism, they made it - even if they despised it but they did nothing, which is a reason to despise them. I am part of the proletariat – we rebel, we are part of the revolution. Which of course kills its own children and we always lose in the end, in Poland's case simply by changing the government and system from socialism to capitalistic democracy. I wonder if some dictators used it as a manual. My thoughts are contradictory.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1984.